OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Unable to install Kamikaze on my WL-500g

The content of this topic has been archived on 16 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,
I run Whiterussian RC5 since 4 months and all is fine.
I got sources for Kamikaze from SVN, build them (all was fine) and installed the .trx via tftp
Then, I'm unable to do anything with it...
No ping, no SSH, how to debug that??? I have no serial console. Is that hard to do? Is that the only way for debugging?

Thanks to help, I'm stuck...
-jec

Plug one of the LAN ports into another PC, and run tcpdump on that machine:

# tcpdump -i eth0 -n -s500 -X ip

Then power up the Asus. Do you see a broadcast UDP packet, I think it's to port 4919? If so, press the reset button within 2 seconds of that, and you should get another broadcast packet confirming you're in safe mode. Then the box is on 192.168.1.1 and you should be able to telnet into it.

If not, then yes the next move would be to attach a serial port. You need an RS232 level shifter, either make one using a MAX232 chip or hack a mobile phone data cable. There's info on the Wiki about this. It's not hard, but you should not have been running Kamikaze in the first place without one (this is said over and over again)

If you were happy with WhiteRussian RC5, then perhaps you'd prefer to run RC6 instead.

candlerb wrote:

You need an RS232 level shifter, either make one using a MAX232 chip

Easiest way is probably to directly cross connect another router's 3.3V UART to the one being debugged - if another router is available.

reflash with asus recovery tool.

The discussion might have continued from here.