OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TD-8840 4-port ADSL Modem / Router

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello everyone.

I have recently obtained this router.

I checked it and it seems to be running Broadcom chipset BCM96345 with Busybox 1.0.

Here is the info in case anyone is interested:

Board ID:      96338L-2M-8M
Software Version:     3.02L.09.A2pB019b8.d16m
Bootloader (CFE) Version:     1.0.37-0.8

> cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : 96338L-2M-8M
processor               : 0
cpu model               : BCM6338 V1.0
BogoMIPS                : 239.20
wait instruction        : no
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 32
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : no
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

Dec 12 17:39:45 192.168.1.1  BCM96345  started: BusyBox v1.00 (2006.06.26-09:01+0000)

What I wonder now is whether I could "roll my own" firmware for this thing?

My main goal would be to have just ADSL G.dmt, NAT/port triggering, and eventually time of day restrictions so as to maximize amount of resources to be able to withstand high number (like 300-400) TCP/IP connections while still being responsive.

Router is really cheap, I paid 35€ for it. It is quite usable the way it is now, but I would like to be able to use more than 250 TCP/IP connections with it.

Does anyone have any usefull ideas, comments? Perhaps someone knows if this chipset is or will be supported by OpenWRT? Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Igor

Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome.

Welcome levicki!

Please don't be discouraged if you don't get a reply within a day around here.  It's not that active of a weboard unfortunetly.

There appears to be Kernel 2.6.x support for Broadcom 963xx in Kamikaze, so go ahead and check out the latest SVN.  Since you'll be needing ADSL, don't forget the br2684ctl and PPPoE or PPPoA packages if required.
I don't see an option for AnnexA or B in the Kamikaze menu, not sure if that's a problem or handled by CFE???

I personally don't have any routers using this chipset so I can't say if it will work or not (my routers are all AR7 and 947xx).

Cheers,
KillaB

Thanks for the reply.

I thought at first that maybe I posted a bit offtopic because this router doesn't have wireless but still it is the same chipset and it should work.

However, I wouldn't like to brick the router so I was hoping that someone more experienced (say one of the developers) could get a hold of one and test it.

Am I being to unrealistic in my expectations?

hello levicki,
did you succeeded installing openwrt in your modem?

pls. post some internal photos of the modem.

If we could just add SD card to cheap ADSL routers like TD-8840 and make bootloader to boot from SD card we will get miniPC for few bucks.

So we need to:

1) Find out where to connect SD card pins to motherboard
2) Ask OpenWrt gurus to make tiny mini bootloader which will boot openwrt from SD card

The idea occurs to me when I red http://drgenetic.wordpress.com/2008/07/ … -kamikaze/

Then I opened TD-8840B case, but I just can not find where to connect DO, CLK, DI and CS. Chip inside is BCM6338KFBG, so AFAIK we just need to find those pins on chip?

The discussion might have continued from here.