OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Use a WRT54G to pilote robots ?

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

Some students in my school are makin a robot as end-year project. That's so much seen'n'boring...

So I wander, since their robot can be controler via RS232, and since it's possible to add RS232 to my WRT54G, is the WRT processor powerfull enough to run a small http server (of course, it already does), that run PHP (I would prefere JSP but...), make a few calculation, end send some commands in background to RS232. This way, I would add wifi programming and real-time correction to their robot, and the harder part of the work would be the design of the web interface. That would certainly impress the professors and they would get better grades easily. And I will have some fun too smile

So, the only real-question  is, can a WRT54G make a few calcul (arcsinus, estimation of position, ...) while still running the FTP server to allow real-time correction (and maybe monitoring) ? Do you think it's a good idea ? The robot runs with microcontrolers only (I would have recomanded PXA 250 with linux and a USB-WIFI adaptator !), so the only cheap solution I would see to add a web-interface to it is my old WRT... Any luck ?

Regards,
Jaune.

Wagger wrote:

Hi,

Some students in my school are makin a robot as end-year project. That's so much seen'n'boring...

So I wander, since their robot can be controler via RS232, and since it's possible to add RS232 to my WRT54G, is the WRT processor powerfull enough to run a small http server (of course, it already does), that run PHP (I would prefere JSP but...), make a few calculation, end send some commands in background to RS232. This way, I would add wifi programming and real-time correction to their robot, and the harder part of the work would be the design of the web interface. That would certainly impress the professors and they would get better grades easily. And I will have some fun too smile

So, the only real-question  is, can a WRT54G make a few calcul (arcsinus, estimation of position, ...) while still running the FTP server to allow real-time correction (and maybe monitoring) ? Do you think it's a good idea ? The robot runs with microcontrolers only (I would have recomanded PXA 250 with linux and a USB-WIFI adaptator !), so the only cheap solution I would see to add a web-interface to it is my old WRT... Any luck ?

Regards,
Jaune.

I've seen a openwrt car controlled remotely via wireless, search with google, there's a video too!

There's also an OpenWrt based wifi female blow-up doll which mimicks the actions of your girlfriend, who controls the doll from a remote location via the internet (or other WAN).

Wagger wrote:

Hi,

So I wander, since their robot can be controler via RS232, and since it's possible to add RS232 to my WRT54G

Here is a robot based on WRT54GL loaded with OpenWRT kamikaze 7.09 in action: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BtXiXpSmG9c (sorry about posting to WhiteRussian discussion, I just believe the same can be done with WhiteRussian too).

You can find the OS image and the instructions here: http://andrey.mikhalchuk.com/category/robots. The web interface is coming soon, so for now you only can control it from the command line like "turn left; say yes; look higher".

In this project the router talks to the servo controller using TTL serial interface available on SSC-32 servo controller which saves you couple of bucks on TTL<->RS232 link.

Andrey Mikhalchuk

(Last edited by amc on 10 Mar 2008, 01:33)

Hey mates, can i run Debian (mipsel port) on ASUS WL-500g Deluxe, ASUS WL-500g Premium, ASUS WL-700gE, Linksys WRTSL54GS (and probably on similar, mipsel-based routers) ????????????????????

Driver Robot will now automatically begin downloading your drivers. You can see the download progress of each driver, as well as its size, in the download manager. To see which devices a certain driver applies to, press the little + (plus-sign) in each row.

attendance tracking software

The discussion might have continued from here.