OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Dual wan with a 4G dongle

The content of this topic has been archived on 17 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi everybody,

Since I have a very low speed adsl connection at home, I plan to buy a router and a 4G dongle. (I already tried a 4G router at home and I have amazing speed).
At first I was planning to buy a asus or a synology rt1900ac because those routers can handle dualwan with a wan being a usb 4g dongle.

But can I do that with OpenWRT ?
I read that OpenWRT can manage a USB 4G dongle.
I also read that OpenWRT can manage dual wan ( with a package named mwan3 ?)
But I'd like to be sure OpenWRT is able to do dualwan with the usb 4g dongle.
If so, I would buy a compatible TP-link router like the TL-WR902AC for example.

Thank you

Ps: Sorry for my english, it's not my first language.

Yes you can do that.  About any router that has a USB port and will run OpenWrt can work.  Don't buy a router that has only 4 MB flash and / or 32 MB RAM though.

(Last edited by mk24 on 18 Mar 2018, 14:25)

Use ROOter (http://ofmodemsandmen.com) to connect USB 4G dongle (check, that firmware exactly for your router exists on the page). I haven't managed to run USB 4G dongle in ordinary OpenWRT. Yes, mwan.

(Last edited by ulmwind on 18 Mar 2018, 16:10)

Hello,

Thank you for ur answeers.
So to be sure I buy the correct one, not exactly every router running OpenWRT are compatible, but it HAS to be in the list of the ROOter website, right ? And every router that are on this list are inevitably compatible with openwrt ?
What is ROOter exactly ? A module I have to install inside openwrt like mwan3 ?
Let says for example I would like to do it with the TP-Link Archer C5 V2.0 I couldnt.

(Last edited by tboy on 18 Mar 2018, 21:01)

The discussion might have continued from here.