OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Setup 2 WLANs with different network traffic prioritization.

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi OpenWrt community,

I have two WLAN-router one is in my living room and is connected to the modem of my provider.
The other WLAN-router is installed on my balcony and is connected to the first router with a LAN-cable.
Both router run a WPA2 protected WLAN with the same SSID but on different Chanel's.

A picture of my hardware configuration: preview.ibb.co/gyENPc/topologie2.png

Since the german politicians have changed our law for public Witless Networks I have decided  to setup a free WLAN for my local community.

I hope you can help me with some Ideas how to setup the following configuration:
- I need a second WLAN on both routers with a ssid like freeWiFi
- The network traffic prioritization of the freeWiFi must be low (every package of the freeWiFi have to wait if ther are other packages)

Thanks four your help :-))

Use iptables to mark traffic from the two routers and use prio qdisc to assure priority.

Sounds very interesting :-))
I think I will give it a try ;-)

Set this up like a guest network with the balcony router running as a "dumb AP" and VLANs on the cable with routing done at the main router (connected to the modem) so that public users don't mix with your LAN.

I think you can use sqm (Install luci-app-sqm will bring in necessary scripts and kmods as dependencies) then apply it to the public interface.  Set an overall limit for the public users that is considerably lower than your ISP speed.

Also it would not hurt to run another instance of SQM on the ISP interface.

(Last edited by mk24 on 16 Mar 2018, 15:18)

ok this is also a good idea but a static speed limit is not so good because they're so many people in my area that they are will reach the limit all the time.

The discussion might have continued from here.