OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Recent Build of Openwrt causing Boot Loop on Asus N14U (MT7620)

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi.
I recently acquired an Asus RT N14U router with the intention of using Openwrt on it.
I successfully migrated from the stock firmware to Chaos Calmer via TFTP, following instructions on this link:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/asus/rt-n14u

I then decided to compile an updated version from trunk sources, with my custom package selection and install on the device.
I always follow the build instructions on this link: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build
Compiling went file and at the end I found the sysupgrade file for the N14U device. I proceeded by installing it via LuCI, that also went find, but, when the router reseted, it was not able to boot anymore, it is in some sort of Boot Loop and it never boots.

To recover from that, I  reboot it in Recovery Mode (by pressing the Reset Button while connecting power) and install the Chaos Calmer version via TFTP, that restores router to the working condition.

I'm wondering if anyone experienced similar situation, with router not able to boot after installed fresh compiled version?

What do I need to change in the compiling settings in order to make it boot properly with the compiled binary?

Thank you,

I'm still clueless on this.
Anyone have any suggestion?

That kind of situation may surface with trunk (master) branch, especially after kernel version major version bumps.I experienced similar thing with ipq806x R7800 when kernel was bumped from 4.4 to 4.9. After devs fixed PCI related changes, things worked ok.

So, nothing really unusual. But rare.

There is possibly nothing wrong with your build, but you might still test building with just the defaults without anything extra.

And you should look into Dev discussions and bug reports and also pull requests. Maybe somebody else is seeing the same.

The discussion might have continued from here.