OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT LAN bridge WiFi extender

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,
Not sure if this is possible but I want to connect my OpenWRT (DGN3500) with a LAN port to my modem/router and configure then both to the same WiFi SSID so I can walk around the house without losing signal.
WiFi relay not viable.

Thanks for any help.

In this case it is best to set your openwrt as "dumb ap", google for recipe. Disable firewall, dhcp, optionally bridge wan and lan (or just connect cable to one of lan ports), set same ssid, key and encryption method as on your main modem and wifi clients will automatically roam between both aps as you walk around the house.

If you know, why didnt you just give him a link.
I have a real thorn in my side, with folk who give half the answer then tell someone to google the rest of it
Come on mate, most of us google, then come on forums like this for more specific helpful support.

@srever:
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/bridgedap
You can actually do all this using the web interface but you will need to install the web interface by connecting to the router using SSH client in Windows/Linux and logging in as "root" then at the command line enter

opkg install luci
luci-reload

Then connect to the web interface using 192.168.1.1

(Last edited by ninjaef on 15 Feb 2018, 13:30)

There's no half answer in filling "dumb ap" and pressing I'm feeling lucky ;-) It is not a thing you will find on 10th page. Also there's no point writing down the full recipe, when it's there already step by step with nice formatting. So my answer is not half, not 3 quarters, but full double full :-P

(Last edited by nozombian on 15 Feb 2018, 15:18)

I tried the wikis on dump ap and somehow ruined everything, I remember setting a static ip 192.168.1.199 (I think) and then turning off DNSMASQ and DHCP.
I manually set IP, Subnet Mask and gateway but when i tried telnet and ssh ing into the router in failsafe mode the connection times out.
When i look at my adapter settings it shows no bytes have been received from the router.
Any ideas?

P.S. I brough a USB to TTL PL2303HX but instructions are confusing me on how to use it with my router.

Bump

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated

The discussion might have continued from here.