OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Documentation Discussion

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello Everyone!

I see on some pages that a merger is happening with the documentation, so I understand that what I am going to say may already be addressed. So I am new here also, so that could be my problem as well.

So anyway, I have OpenWRT installed on a router and some of the most intensely basic questions I have I am not finding answers to, which means it isn't documented or the documentation isn't being pulled up in google or I'm not able to navigate to it from the website already. I want to remedy this. I want to help point out some things that could be clarified or mentioned at all.

Are you guys just migrating the documentation from one location, or are you merging documentations? Do you have plans to revisit any pages? I don't wanna waste time by suggesting things that are already going to get addressed. Eh, I dunno how to go about this I guess.

For instance, this link *well you don't get a link because I'm not even allowed to link to your own website, ha. now I feel like I'm giving you as much information as the documentation gives me* has a section for command invocation of OPKG. Nowhere does it tell you where these go. Nothing looks like a traditional CLI, some things look like a CLI with extra junk that makes me think it's not just a normal, plain terminal. It doesn't even strike me as necessarily being a terminal, as some of them just look like text logs.

Maybe I sound stupid or like I haven't looked hard enough for things. I guess that could be true. You shouldn't have to look hard for something that is documented though. Making something hard to find that is supposed to make things easy on you is very counterproductive.

Personally though I intend to start developing programs for this platform. I haven't ran a linux machine in like a decade, and when I did before I hardly messed with it, so linux is still relatively new to me. I really want to join the open source community moving into the future. Any help along this path would be great. Any help I can help people get in the future would be really great.

So ultimately, as I try to familiarize myself with OpenWRT I would find it cool to have somebody to talk to and be like, "hey so I read all this shiznit and it's lacking here and here. I assume I do this thing here like this, right? But I know other people would be even more confused, or scared to do that step because it technically isn't telling them to do that, it's just saying this." and then we rewrite it some to fix it or submit stuff to somebody who will later.

(I have [formally] gone through over half of the CCNA course. I think it's crazy how simple this could be to use, but isn't. But that could just be me. Idk though. It's weird when I cannot configure a router how I want [and feel like it's my fault].)

(Last edited by userbob on 12 Feb 2018, 17:16)

Seems you are refering to the documentation on wiki.openwrt.org.
Have you already tried https://openwrt.org/?

What's the difference?
wiki.openwrt.org = the original / old OpenWrt wiki
openwrt.org = the former wiki.lede-project.org wiki, which evolved from the OpenWrt wiki, and to which the old wiki will be merged.

The discussion might have continued from here.