OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: I can no longer access web ui (Could not open connection port 23)

The content of this topic has been archived on 24 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello. For the life of me I have been trying to get the web UI running again on my recently flashed Linksys WRT1900acs. I was able to flash the router no problem after finding the correct checksum settings. Upon login and successful connection when I started playing with the switch settings under network. I turned off the cpu0 from its default setting of untagged, then saved and applied the settings. Now I can't get into the web UI and when I try to use telnet 192.168.1.1 I keep getting this error "Could not open connecton to the host, on port 23: Connecion failed." I have checked numerous posts.

I have tried opening port 23 on windows, still no luck.

Also tried disabling Windows Firewalls for public/private network along with the Antivirus Software's firewall when attempting to make a connection.

Also tried connecting the wire to a lan and wan port both upon resetting in failsafe mode.

Now when I try to enter failsafe mode I see the internet light keep on blinking orange and then eventually go blue when wire is plugged in. I can't seem to enter failsafe mode anymore i.e. no more fast blinking power light.

I'm all outta ideas at this point. Please, any help would be awesome on this.

(Last edited by dsntstu on 9 Feb 2018, 09:16)

If you enabled the wireless network before fiddling with the switch settings, then perhaps you can still use that to access the web UI?

If not, then pop open the case of the router, connect over the serial interface (if your router has one), and use that to access the Linux console. Using that console, restore your settings back to what they were.

dsntstu wrote:

when I try to use telnet 192.168.1.1 I keep getting this error "Could not open connecton to the host, on port 23: Connecion failed."

In the current master or 17.01 there is no telnet (in port 23).
There is only ssh (in port 22).
That is also mentioned in the wiki: https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firstlogin

(Note: there is still telnet in the ancient 15.05.1 release, but I hope you are not using that with wrt1900acs)

(Last edited by hnyman on 9 Feb 2018, 13:57)

Thanks for the replies. I made the mistake of not enabling wifi before fiddling with the switch settings. I'll try the firmware recovery method. I just got the latest stable firmware last night. it's version 17+. Will let you know if any problems.

Hello again. Thanks for the combination of replies. I was able to resolve the issue and run a successful firmware recovery after using putty (port 22 SSH) in failsafe mode by physically connecting to port 1 on my Linksys WRT1900acs router. Once again I appreciate the prompt replies and all the help. I am now able to use the Web UI again and reconfigure all the settings normally! smile

The discussion might have continued from here.