OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Installed on WRT160N no web or networking

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello OpenWRT community...

Background: I've previously ran and successfully install Tomato (Shibby) and DD-WRT.  Seeing the two projects will unlikely be maintained in the future and the rejuvenation of OpenWRT/LEDE I'd figure I should switch to OpenWRT.

I followed wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt160n

Installed downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/brcm47xx/mips74k/openwrt-brcm47xx-mips74k-linksys-wrt160n-v3-squashfs.bin

Checked if this is a recent build and going to the directory seems to suggest it was built Dec 2017).

I flashed the router which seemed to work without a hitch.

Issues:
Out of box I was not able to access the web interface.
* No front facing builds should have this disabled.

I read upon the Wiki, (also made some updates), and I was able to get in via SSH, (no password).
Set the root password and attempted to set for network access.
* I am not new with configuring linux but this is way over the head of most people.

Questions:
Was there a step that I missed or did I grab the wrong build?

How would I recover from this state to go to a more feature enabled build?

Why is this so complicated, (builds should be straight forward with installation and configuring... having to drop into command line will loss most users, this state should only be needed for advanced users or administrators)?

I want the project to succeed, especially since other firmware projects are stagnating.  I definitely think the instructions / wiki could be improved.  Any help or direction from the community would be appreciated.

PS: Can't post links in this forum?!?!?

I don't understand why doing additional installation for the web UI has to be done.

First off I did not notice any information that this was an admin type of install. I wouldn't be surprised if people run into this and think their router is bricked, (more warnings and clear steps need to be provided).

Secondly, flashing the image should not require CLI to get things started.  Develop builds need to be clearly labeled as such if this is the case.

So is no GUI standard for all images or did I get a DEV build?  How would I tell the difference?

jlouie wrote:

So is no GUI standard for all images or did I get a DEV build?

You're on the right track in your assumptions: You grabbed a "snapshot" build, those do not include the LuCI web interface. Release builds do.

How would I tell the difference?

By their (directory) name: "snapshot". http://downloads.openwrt.org/ lays it out.

You have been cought by one of the slightly inconvenient consequences of the split and re-merge of OpenWrt and LEDE: A lot of OpenWrt wiki pages still contain the state of things for OpenWrt while LEDE has moved forward.

Going from here, you got two options:
a) stay on the snapshot build and install LuCI as an "aftermarket" package, keeping in mind that at some point you will have to upgrade to a more permanent build anyway, or
b) SCP a release image to the router and sysupgrade from the command line

(Last edited by metai on 4 Feb 2018, 04:51)

metai wrote:

You're on the right track in your assumptions: You grabbed a "snapshot" build, those do not include the LuCI web interface. Release builds do.

Thanks!

By their (directory) name: "snapshot". downloads.openwrt.org/ lays it out.

You have been cought by one of the slightly inconvenient consequences of the split and re-merge of OpenWrt and LEDE: A lot of OpenWrt wiki pages still contain the state of things for OpenWrt while LEDE has moved forward.

Going from here, you got two options:
a) stay on the snapshot build and install LuCI as an "aftermarket" package, keeping in mind that at some point you will have to upgrade to a more permanent build anyway, or
b) SCP a release image to the router and sysupgrade from the command line

Ugg... had to update your URL since the forum refuses to let me post them as is.

Interesting, I did not see that page.  My steps were to go to the wrt160n page and download from the hardware custom build, (again probably from prior firmware experiences).  Saw v1.1 vs v3.0 and obviously the newer one would be the one to get.

I think each page needs to present these links a lot more clearer.  Snapshots / Dev builds should be branded with a warning or "there be dragons here" messaging.

Would sysupgrade also work with downgrading to a stable build?

I've taken upon myself to clean up wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt160n/.  Does anyone know why several versions are said supported but I can't seem to find a stable version for that version?

The "v" numbers in the built filenames indicate different hardware versions, not software upgrades.  You should not try to flash a build for a different hardware version than your router unless you know exactly what you're doing.  It is very common in the industry for a manufacturer to build a router with the same model number and external appearance as one they previously sold, but having completely different hardware inside.  Usually, but not always, this change is indicated by them adding a "v2" etc to the model number on the nameplate and usually, but not always, the retail box.

At this time, the 17.01.4 build is the latest stable release.  There is one for the WRT160v3 and will include the web interface.

(Last edited by mk24 on 4 Feb 2018, 16:18)

Yes, I got v3.0 to match my hardware.  I mixed that up in my post.

17.01.4 is the LEDE release which isn't referenced in the page, (couldn't find any reference to it..

lede-project.org/ references lede-project.org/toh/start which points to devices in the openwrt.org wiki.  lede-project.org/toh/views/toh_fwdownload seems tohave the LEDE links.  Things honestly seems to be a mess right now.

Did some more digging and there is discussion on the merger forum.lede-project.org/t/lede-openwrt-w … e/10861/15.  The merging between the porjects have been in the works for almost a year now, I was hoping the project would be farther along.

The discussion might have continued from here.