OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Does anyone sell OpenWRT-specific hardware?

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

(cross-posted from LEDE forum)

Strange question, perhaps, but here goes:

Does anyone know of a company selling routers and/or WiFi gear and using OpenWRT - and advertising that as a feature?

I have a recollection of Buffalo using DD-WRT in at least some models of their routers, and Engenius (Senao) uses OpenWRT in their outdoor WiFi devices, although they hide it behind a custom web UI and CLI, don’t provide root access, and don’t seem to contribute patches to support their hardware. They certainly don’t advertise the fact they are using OpenWRT.

Years back I bought a Kasda router on Ebay that was advertised specifically as using OpenWRT, There are also some “DIY” devices (e.g. Arduino Yun, VoCore, Onion Omega, OOlite) that openly use OpenWRT, but they are marketed toward “makers” and developers, not “end users.”

If you’re reading this, you have probably already flashed OpenWRT onto some brand of router (and/or other things). So it may seem trivial to you, but I think that having a line of hardware out there that runs OpenWRT “openly” - and promotes it - would be good for the overall OpenWRT community.

Does anyone know of anyone selling “OpenWRT-specific” hardware? If not, does anyone know why not?

-Bill

https://www.gl-inet.com

you find them on amazon. I have two of theirs, working well with LEDE per default.

If you are looking to recommend a router for non-techie friends, I can speak highly of the IQrouter from Evenroute. It’s about $150 on Amazon.

They designed it to get rid of bufferbloat - it automatically (and regularly) tests your line rate, and adjusts the SQM (codel/cake) parameters to minimize the latency induced in when there’s traffic on the line.

Under the covers, it’s full LEDE with a re-worked (simplified) GUI for most people. You can invoke the “Advanced GUI” if you need to get back to the full LuCI GUI. The hardware is an Archer C7 - so it’s a modestly powerful router.

In my town, we can only get DSL. Dozens of people have purchased it with a great effect on their speeds and latency. (The latency from bufferbloat was killing their network performance, and the IQrouter made all the difference.)
[copy/pasted from LEDE forums]

Thanks, guys!

The discussion might have continued from here.