OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Chromecast + wired ethernet

The content of this topic has been archived on 8 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I've just bought a chromecast. It works fine with wireless devices, however I'm having difficulty connecting to it from wired devices. For example, in the chrome browser, if I scan for devices from the chrome page it doesn't find anything.

I've seen some posts that talked about enabling or disabling /sys/devices/virtual/net/br-lan/bridge/multicast_snooping however this hasn't made any difference for me.

My network configuration has the x.x.0.x range for dhcp clients and x.x.1.x for static assignments. I have tried connecting to chromecast from a wired machine in each of those ranges and it hasn't made any difference, so I don't think it's a subnet issue.

Is there any special configuration that anybody's aware of to make chromecast work?

I'm using BARRIER BREAKER (14.07, r42625) if that makes any difference.

Can you upgrade? I ran cc 15.1 and now run LEDE 17.1.4 and both my crome casts work just fine.

Hmm hadn't really heard of LEDE until now but according to the lede-project device page which I can't link here for whatever reason, my device (TP-Link TL-WR1043N v1) isn't supported by LEDE.

wtfrank wrote:

my device (TP-Link TL-WR1043N v1) isn't supported by LEDE.

1043ND v1 is supported, with the only difference to 1043N being that the antennas are detachable.

tmo26 wrote:
wtfrank wrote:

my device (TP-Link TL-WR1043N v1) isn't supported by LEDE.

1043ND v1 is supported, with the only difference to 1043N being that the antennas are detachable.

Their supported devices page only starts at 1043N v2, and they have a warning stating that "devices with <= 32MB RAM suffer from limitations...in stability" - one difference between the v1 and later models is that it only has 32MB RAM.

Their supported devices list goes:
TL-WR1041ND    v2 [different model]
TL-WR1043ND    v2.x   
TL-WR1043ND    v3.x
TL-WR1043ND    v4.x

Missing from that list is TL-WR1043ND v1.

@tapper - did chromecast work ok with wired ethernet on Chaos Calmer? Maybe I should upgrade to Chaos Calmer.

wtfrank wrote:

Their supported devices page only starts at 1043N v2
[...]
Missing from that list is TL-WR1043ND v1.

???

-> https://lede-project.org/toh/views/toh_ … ns*~%5D=v1

1043ND v1 is supported. Where have you been looking and didn't find it?

LEDE should run just fine! Just dont try and run lots of pluggins.

The discussion might have continued from here.