OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: suggestion

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

(cause some wrt devs doesnt read/answer mails..)

i seen recently a common thing about a lot of devices who could run owrt :
there is no clearly explaination about how to install it.

i mean everybody here is supposed to be a geek, but what if somebody have a supported router (exact model), without being a geek, just wanna test openwrt, maybe for experimentations or just gathering knowledge and skills, even for use it everyday;

the matter is, about the wiki:

there is NO any page seems like another;

all pages about devices are just a mass of records and note (which is good) without any organization (not so..);

my suggestion, would be :

why dont put three or four clearly parts in each device file?

Like :

1- Information
data of the device, board, hardware, compatibility..
2. how to install it (few ways, but for example explaining with several methods of flashing..)
3. how to access it..

for example, i expercienced these issues when converting some devices recently :
DG834GT : broadcom based, was able to flash it with backfire, but stopping during boot;
works perfectly on attitude adjustment.
These two last information are not mentionned anywhere in this netgear model page.

neufbox6: no way to find how to flash it. eg, the flashimage.py is a deadlink from old device.

another one, which i could get these days :
a chinese router, some information of it running owrt, but nothing about install it on device.

sometimes...

other thing, i wondered about..

why, instead of having it in a wiki, having a big database of owrt devices?
i mean, just have a search engine, type WRT and all wrt-something models appear...
or with a manufacturer selection before.... could be great to avoid spending hours in the wiki..

just suggestion:)

(another issue, when testing several versions of owrt :
why there is not the version name in the generated files? or ver number?
usually when you want to test CCalmer, but you have to test a legacy or older one, all files have the same names... things like this must be updated smile
(yes, i'm trying to do end-user quality)

lm2 wrote:

[...]

why, instead of having it in a wiki, having a big database of owrt devices?
i mean, just have a search engine, type WRT and all wrt-something models appear...
or with a manufacturer selection before.... could be great to avoid spending hours in the wiki..

just suggestion:)

What do you miss in https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start? Just type wrt into say the empty textfield below the "Model" column header and get a restricted view of all hardware entries that have wrt as part of their model name. And if you start from https://openwrt.org this searchable database is linked from the sole link "Supported Devices" (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start) in the first section ("Waht is OpenWrt").
Maybe doing a bit more research before posting might be a good idea?

I guess the developers' response would like, err...what is your question? lol

In reply for moeller0

AH4021, missing in your toh/start .. even if it's a working device
dsl-2542b, running owrt, missing again

i was thinkin about instead of having a BIG table,
just like in google, a field where you type the brand, all models are listed.. something dynamic...

ximibaba wrote:

I guess the developers' response would like, err...what is your question? lol

it's the principle of a suggestion : it's not a question LOL

and this too :

Warning! The following errors must be corrected before your message can be posted:
Too more links in message. Allowed 0 links. Reduce number of links and post it again.

lm2 wrote:

AH4021, missing in your toh/start .. even if it's a working device
dsl-2542b, running owrt, missing again

These are Zombie devices, with only 16MB RAM -> too little for OpenWrt.
See also https://lede-project.org/meta/infobox/432_warning

i was thinkin about instead of having a BIG table,
just like in google, a field where you type the brand, all models are listed.. something dynamic...

?

The ToH IS dynamic, any you can do just what you stated above: Enter a brand, and all models of that brand are shown. What's the problem?

Those are some sound suggestions if you ask me. I understand the devs though, it's hard to be aware of everything a lot of the time.

The discussion might have continued from here.