OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Router for Smart Home Wifi Devices (around 30-40)

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hey guys,

I already have an external network (Fritzbox 6490) and an internal one (Archer C7). Now I want to build up a dedicated Smart Home Wifi.

The Xiaomi Router 3C I got was not the right thing to order for that. Later I read that the Router is not able to have OpenWrt or so on it and only supports 20 computing devices (64 in total, but 44 IoT-devices (Yeelights and so on do not count ...)).

Now I am looking for a cheap Router (<40€ in Germany) for a dedicated Smart Home network. The Router has to support like 40 wifi connections at the same time. I thought about 128 MB Ram (The 3C got 64 - seems not enough). Will that work if I just search a Router that supports OpenWrt with 128 MB Ram? Or are there any other limits (guess bandwith should not be a problem with the lights)?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Greetings
Andy

If you have a Xaiomi in your hands now, there are some people building firmware for it (not sure what the difference between 3C and 3g is).
for example https://forum.lede-project.org/t/xiaomi … g/5377/106

Devices which are connected but not moving much data do not require many resources of the router, perhaps a few kB each for their data structures.  The default in hostapd is 150 devices but that can be expanded.  In theory, a wifi AP can connect 2007 clients at once but no one actually does that.

Hey mk24,

thank you for your answer.

The 3G seems to have a different CPU and way more RAM and also supports 5 GHz, has a USB-Slot and Gigabit-Ethernet:

3G - MT7621A - 128MB Flash - 256MB DDR3 RAM
3C - MT7628N - 16MB Flash - 64MB DDR2 RAM

Guess that firmware will not work on the 3C. But thank you for your find smile

I guess I will just need to buy a new Router, but I do not know which one... hmm

(Last edited by andymaen on 28 Sep 2017, 15:25)

Thank you tmo26 for that link!

I will go it through and find a router with 128MB-256MB RAM. Should be enough for 40-50 devices at the same time I guess. Already saw the Xiaomi 3G on that list too - maybe I will just get that one (long time shipping ...).

The discussion might have continued from here.