OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT on User Mode Linux improvements

The content of this topic has been archived on 1 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have a set of patches (some already in the kernel, some in the Linux UML maintainer queue) for UML for which I have a long standing openwrt backport. Some of the code is quite old (I started experimenting with this 5+ years ago). I have been getting them into the upstream Linux kernel in my free time. Some went into 4.1, some later (~ 4.7) and some are still in the maintainer queue.

To put a long story short they allow OpenWRT to be run under virtualization with throughput > 0.5GBIt as well as direct interfacing to GRE, LTPv3, etc at network driver level. That allows some fairly interesting scenarios where you interface an OpenWRT instance to an existing AP, router or a switch which can talk GRE or L2TPv3.

1. I was going to post the to the mailing list, but it appears to be practically dead. Is this the right place to kick off a thread on that?

2. Should I wait for all the patches to be accepted upstream or the fact that they have been published is enough to start considering them here?

I thought the two forks made peace in the beginning of the summer.

Personally, I do not care where the patches go as long as people can use them.

The discussion might have continued from here.