OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [solved] set up USB storage on TP-Link TD9980

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all!
I'm trying to set up the USB storage support on a TP-Link TD9980 running openWrt Designated Driver 50108, but my USB device won't get recognized (no /dev/sda device appears).

I've used these guides:

I've installed following packages:

• kmod-ledtrig-usbdev - 4.4.14-1

• kmod-usb-core - 4.4.14-1

• kmod-usb-ohci - 4.4.14-1

• kmod-usb-storage - 4.4.14-1

• kmod-usb2 - 4.4.14-1

• kmod-fs-msdos - 4.4.14-1

• kmod-fs-ntfs - 4.4.14-1

• kmod-fs-vfat - 4.4.14-1
    *edit*

• kmod-fs-ext4

• kmod-usb2-pci

• block-mount
    */edit*

I've searched this forum and the internet but couldn't find a solution.

My problem in detail:
After installing all the above listed packages I've inserted a flash memory drive to the USB1 connector (later I tryed also USB2) but neither the LED on the flash drive nor the USB LED on the router lit. Then I opened a ssh connection to the router and used the "ls" command to list the folder /dev, but the was no device starting with "sd" (I expected somthing like sda1 or sdb).

How to get the usb drive working?
Have I missed something?

(Last edited by benny.1337 on 17 Sep 2017, 15:30)

The USB basic support indicates you need kmod-legtrig-usbdev to see the light on the usb device work.

You need either or usb-ohci and usb-uhci.  If you do not know for sure what your HW supports install both (you can remove the other later if it bothers you)

Configure\Test with vfat and no users first.  I was never able to get NTFS running and others complain it is slow.  Also see this for ntfs https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/writable_ntfs
You probably should include an ext file system for at least testing.  It seems to perform the best and if you are not removing the drive then no issue with windows.

As it appears your on windows see this https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/us … binterface

Check to see if you have an FSTAB file in the etc\config folder.  I think it is not created automatically, but I think is needed.

WinSCP is great for windows users to edit config files.

Thanks for all the info, but my USB pen drives still don't get recognized.

• I checked kmod-legtrig-usbdev, it's installed.

• I installed both kmod-usb-ohci and kmod-usb-uhci

• and installed kmod-fs-ext4

• I checked the "fstab" file in /etc/config its present and contains following:

config 'global'
        option  anon_swap       '0'
        option  anon_mount      '0'
        option  auto_swap       '1'
        option  auto_mount      '1'
        option  delay_root      '5'
        option  check_fs        '0'

I also formated one of my pen drives with ext4 and put it in the router usb port but still there is no /dev/sda* device
I also installed "usbutils" to list all usb devices with "lsusb" but it shows only:

unable to initialize libusb: -99

Btw. "block info" also don't show my sub drives:

root@OpenWrt:/# block info
/dev/mtdblock3: UUID="xxx" VERSION="4.0" TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/mtdblock4: TYPE="jffs2"

I don't understand what you mean with:

Configure\Test with vfat and no users first.

I guess there is something wrong with my USB Basic Support.
Is there anything I can check about it? Should there be a spcific process or something else?

Looks like openWrt Designated Driver 50108 doesn't support the USB ports on my router (TP-Link TD9980) so far, or the USB support is broken.

There is even a report in the bug tracker:
dev.openwrt.org/ticket/22981#no2

Btw. "block info" also don't show my sub drives:

I hate to ask the obvious, but since I didn't see it on your list is block-mount installed?

thanks for the reply.

yes it is:

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg list-installed bloc*
block-mount - 2016-07-24-addd7dc21fe99f2701c1d4708071578052af401d

Thank you very mutch, I didn't know about the LEDE Projekt, flashing LEDE 17.01.2 solved my USB problem.
USB Storage devices work now as expected! smile

So now I just need to configure everything like it was before...

The discussion might have continued from here.