OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: View wifi on PC

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi Guys,
                we have a long copper wire on our driveway so Im trying a new set-up

Main modem (TD-W8960N V5) will be up driveway hooked into copper line

shared modem is in cabin 140m away hooked to PC by Lan cable (TD-W8980 V1)

Is there a way to view the wifi signals on the Main Modem or even the shared modem ?

I can only see the network card active on PC (windows 7)

So you are saying you want to make a wifi link between the two?  That is a fairly long distance for two indoor type boxes especially if there are trees or anything else in the way.

Assuming you are running OpenWrt on it, you can log into the cabin modem and run a wifi scan to see if it detects the signal from the main modem.  Go to the networks wireless page and click the scan button.  If it does, you can create either a routed client or a WDS client (if the main modem has OpenWrt to be WDS capable).

I have tested the distance with laptop and 2.4ghz patch and thats fine for 140m

the copper wire is our phone line that has better internet speed at the top of our drive,

no not running openwrt there was no firmware for my modem and didnt know I needed it yet ?

Id like to see what the main modem see over its wifi like you would with your phone or normal
wifi adapter etc
Cheers
Brett

If you mean to see which neighbors, etc are received by the radio in the main modem, the firmware in that device would have to offer a scan function.

Oh yes cool my w8960n has a scan feature in the wireless bridge tab and i can see other
wifi in my area

How would I tell if they aren’t hooked into my network if it was possible
to guess password etc

The discussion might have continued from here.