OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT don't let me configurate

The content of this topic has been archived on 14 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi

i installed the freifunk-software (maybe someone know it, its based on OpenWRT) on my TP-Link WR841N. From this i used the softwareupdate in this software to install "the original" OpenWRT Software. It was a trunk version. So he takes the software and says me that he started new.

Now he started new, but i cant get configurate it. I can ping it over 192.168.1.1 but when i will get acces over telnet 192.168.1.1 23 he cant connect. I already tried to take the router in Failsafe-mode and i think i get (the power led was blinking really fast), but i not get a connection over telnet.

The really "funny" thing is that i can turn on the wifi over a hardware button. When i turn it on and connceted the router to the internet, i get a normal, but open, wifi "OpenWRT" with internet connection.

So can i buy a new router or does someone has an idea?

Telnet is disabled in current trunk version.
Use ssh

hnyman wrote:

Telnet is disabled in current trunk version.
Use ssh

Oh yeah, thank you really much. I tried to Install luci. Download was okay but by installing he said Out of memory.

I will try to  make the sysupgrade but i dont really understand how to put the image in ram.

How can i change the installation folder?

I think this tp-link has only 4mb flash, so there will be no easy way to install luci.

@Kidman
you can SSH into your router  and copy the package to /tmp folder from there itself you can issue the install command..

@Kidman
you can SSH into your router  and copy the package to /tmp folder from there itself you can issue the install command..

I tried to make the commands from the openwrt wiki. He said:

wget *the link you gave me*
wget: SSL support not available, please install ustream-ssl 

When i no try to install wget with:

opkg update
opkg install wget 

he said:

gz_open: fork: Out of memory.
 * pkg_hash_add_from_file: Failed to open /var/opkg-lists/designated_driver_management: Out of memory.

Is there a possibility to get an router with a web user interface?

So i just managed it to reinstall the original Firmware with a nice introduction i found on internet (Tftp-Server).

I would use it for policy routing and VPN, but when I read your links it isnt possible with this router. So i bought a Asus Router, it seems to be more easier.

But I thank you all really much!

Unfortunately WR841N has no USB port.
Routers with only 4 MB flash but an USB port, can have the "disk space" enlarged with an Pen-drive. I used it on my ASUS RTN56U and it works fantastic.

It is not very complicated to put a 16 MB flash chip into these.  That makes VPN possible but you still have to be careful with only 32M of RAM.

The discussion might have continued from here.