OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: What do I call this? Setting up OpenWrt as an independent AP

The content of this topic has been archived on 26 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I don't really know what the technical name for what I am trying to do is. I would think I am trying to create a Routed AP or a Routed Client but the configs for those setups didn't seem to do the trick.

I have a HooToo Nano TM-02 which is the topic of a pretty popular post here in the General Discussion forum. Currently, OpenWrt is installed and is using the default configuration.

What I want to do:

• Plug OpenWrt device via ethernet cable into my Comcast router/modem/AP device and create a separate, totally unique wireless AP with its own SSID and access to the internet.

• Be able to go to 192.168.1.1 in the URL bar on a client of this network and have that bring up my OpenWrt LuCI login screen

• Go to reddit.com and have reddit actually load

• Use a different DNS than my Comcast router/modem/AP

What currently happens:

• Plug OpenWrt device via ethernet cable into my Comcast router/modem/AP device and create a separate, totally unique wireless AP with its own SSID and access to the internet (through the 10.0.0.1 gateway of the Comcast router).

• Cannot go to 192.168.1.1 in the URL bar. Instead, that fails out. 10.0.0.1 goes to the Xfinity login even though I am connected through the OpenWrt SSID

• Go to reddit.com and it loads

• DNS is the same

Hopefully that makes sense.

First thing I would try to fix is figuring out why the OpenWrt device is not responding to requests to the 192.168.1.1 address; default configuration should work exactly like that. How did you configure that device? Can you post your config files here, please?

I think the same. Remove to original configuration and it should start working

Wow, sorry for the lack of reply.

So, right now I have fully reset the device back to default. I connect it via cat5 cable to my Comcast router/modem. I connect to the OpenWrt AP on my laptop. I am online.

I go into the browser, I type 192.168.1.1...waiting...waiting...waiting...nothing. I type 10.0.0.1...boom. Comcast Xfinity login screen shows up.

Don't want that at all. Can anyone help?

What IP address does your computer obtain when connected to the OpenWrt AP?

It's probably worth noting what firmware you are running.  IIRC, the original wingspinner bins had relayd configured and were not exactly OpenWrt stock configs.

The discussion might have continued from here.