OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Captive Portal on Android 5.1+

The content of this topic has been archived on 13 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I want to use captive portal. I want user to get authenticated after he accepts terms and conditions and then want him to redirect to advertisement page.

We are facing this issue. When a user connects and is authenticated by auth server, browser window is closed automatically on android 5.1+. We want to keep it open so that we can show some advertisement after user is authenticated.

This might not look like a technical post but I want to know if anybody has some solution? (I am ready to hire, pm me)
Or if you think it is not possible to solve this then please let us know. Or if you have any experience with such issue please share.

We are using openwrt 15.05 + wifidog

Thank You

anyone?

After the login is completed and the device detects that the general network is accessible, it is free to close the browser window used for the login, and there's nothing you can do about that.

I'd suggest to re-think your approach, and show your advertisements already on the login page, since by definition, it is the one page that the client must render in order to even do the login. You can generate the page on the server end if you need to support changing the ads every now and then.

This approach might not be applicable if the client device uses a specialized browser window that doesn't support the features necessary to show your ads (say, Javascript or other client-side features). Static images should work everywhere, though, so those are always an option.

Correct.
Several notes on the web regarding this 'feature' of Android5+ already.
Not shure, wheter it is a coincidence, that on various freelancer platforms same question popped up recently as an open project.

augustus_meyer wrote:

Not shure, wheter it is a coincidence, that on various freelancer platforms same question popped up recently as an open project.

No, it's not a coincidence. The asker is probably affiliated with http://www.webdonesol.com/ somehow.

The discussion might have continued from here.