OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Cant build openwrt....

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

So... ive been trying to build openwrt but i keep getting this error at the end openwrt recipe for target 'world' failed make: *** [world] Error 2

Ive followed the instructions EXACTLY from here: wiki.openwrt .org/doc/howto/buildroot.exigence and then ran: make V=s command to build.

On that page though, what do they mean by this: "2. Issue all OpenWrt build system commands in the <buildsystem root> directory, e.g. ~/openwrt/trunk/". Ive been issuing the build commands in ~/openwrt/

Thanks for the help

The 'make V=s' command gives you more verbose output on what exactly went wrong. Post the error here, and perhaps we can help.

The <buildsystem root> refers to the directory to which you clone the GitHub repository. For example, my home directory is "/home/buildbot". I clone OpenWRT's git source to the folder 'openwrt'. As a result, I would issue all build-related commands in "/home/buildbot/openwrt". I only use a single branch at a time so this is convenient for me.

Scroll back 1 or 2 pages and look for the first place that says error.

So... this time i built it i used the command "git clone -b chaos_calmer git://github.com/openwrt/openwrt.git" to download openwrt.

Then i used this command to try to get a log file with only errors, but it didnt work: "make V=s 2>&1 | tee build.log | grep -i error". I did still get a log file so here it is:
s000.tinyupload .com/index.php?file_id=08588339712393673175
Remove spaces from the link, im not able to put links in posts yet ;(

If you followed the instructions from https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/buildroot.exigence then did you also read https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build?

The latter contains instructions on how to update the package feeds and use 'make menuconfig' to set your target, profile and other build options. I'm just asking to be sure smile

The build fails due to a compilation error, and there are several warnings related to missing programs. Some of these programs are not needed, but others, such as the 'sdl-config', might be necessary to configure and modify the source files correctly.

(Last edited by Antek on 29 Jun 2017, 08:12)

i cant post the full error because it contains links and i cant post links. but i think its trying to download this file ftp . de . debian .org /debian/pool/main/m/mklibs/mklibs_0.1.35.tar.gz
and then i get a 404 error because that file doest even exist... added spaces to that link btw

how can i see which programs are missing and required for the build. and how can i fix the above error?

Also, im using make menuconfig and setting my build options. im also updating my package feeds...

kingfly55 wrote:

i cant post the full error because it contains links and i cant post links. but i think its trying to download this file ftp . de . debian .org /debian/pool/main/m/mklibs/mklibs_0.1.35.tar.gz
and then i get a 404 error because that file doest even exist... added spaces to that link btw

Version 0.1.35 of the package is not available on that server. There's version 34, 40 and 43. That would explain why the download fails.

I do not know how you can solve this. This file is part of the platform-independent tools. I have used Debian 8 Jessie to build OpenWRT Chaos Calmer successfully for myself, and when I just tried building the host tools from scratch, I did not encounter this error.

how can i see which programs are missing and required for the build. and how can i fix the above error?

Usually missing programs appear in the logfiles as "Unknown command" or "Command not found". You check what command is being called, then you determine what program or package you need to install to your host OS in order to make this command available.

Ok, i think im going to try to use a different version of debian.

Hopefully that fixes the issues and thanks for the help

I use xubuntu 14.04 everything works just fine

ahmadrasyidsalim wrote:
kingfly55 wrote:

Ok, i think im going to try to use a different version of debian.

Hopefully that fixes the issues and thanks for the help

Try again and use this repo
I use Debian, Ubuntu , and Mint everything work.

I wrote in my blog (Indonesia Language) use Google Translator.

got the same error (and 1 more similar but different file)

The discussion might have continued from here.