OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Samba 4

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm just getting started with OpenWRT, and even though I bricked my first router (HARD BRICK), it seems to be working really well on the replacement.

But we I searched for Samba Server I'm seeing that there's only a version 3.6

Windows 10 requires at least version 4.4 for browsing, and the latest version is 4.6.5

I saw a few posts, but none of them seems to have produced an .ipkg for easy install. Is that on someone's list?

samba4 is way too large for most routers.

I'm working with Samba 3.6 as fileserver on my Netgear WNDR3800 and a mixture of Win7- and Win10-Clients and XUbuntu with Samba client without any problems.
So I see no direct dependency for Samba 4 to use with Windows 10.

You're probably seeing now problems because you still have SMB1 enabled. With the Wannacry ransomware, there were major recommendations to turn off SMB1.

With SMB1 turned off, Windows 10 uses encrypted SMB3_11 for "browsing" via Network [Neighborhood], so while you can make manual connections via "NET USE" and "Map Network Drive" (which will fall back to SMB2), you can't browse computers via Network [Neighborhood] without a minimum of Samba 4.4

Samba 4.5 is going to be included in Debian Stretch which is released on the 17th.

Now regarding it not fitting on a router, sorry, I call BS on that one, especially modern routers with 128MB, but that doesn't even take into consideration those with exroot setups.

Agree. It's now time to include samba 4 on OpenWrt. The default has also changed on the samba client for up-to-date distros. For instance, on Ubuntu 17.10 I'm getting:

Default has changed to a more secure dialect, SMB3 (vers=3.0), from CIFS (SMB1). To use the less secure SMB1 dialect to access old servers which do not support SMB3 specify vers=1.0 on mount.

The discussion might have continued from here.