OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWRT firmware for TP-Link TD-W8968 v4 does not exist :((

The content of this topic has been archived on 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello everybody! Guys i have a wifi router TP-Link TD-W8968 v4 and on this site have not available firmware for my router version. Who knows when there will be a firmware for the router TP-Link TD-W8968 for version [4]?
Thank you all in advance for answers.

Regards,
Jamshid

(Last edited by uNOC_u34 on 10 Jun 2017, 13:04)

The LEDE project has support for TD-W8968 (See https://lede-project.org/toh/hwdata/tp- … -w8968_v3)

You could check the device page, see what ICs and components are used, and then compare these to the hardware that is on your own router. Who knows, perhaps it is a simple process of porting the current v3 implementation to work on the v4.

You will also need to understand that neither OpenWRT nor LEDE specially employ people who port these firmwares to new platforms. Most of the time it is individual people who want to use either firmware on their own router, and they wrap up the sleeves and Get It Done(tm).

Thus, your best bet in getting OpenWRT to your router is to do it yourself. Here's a link to get you started: https://wiki.openwrt.org/about/toolchain

Antek wrote:

You could check the device page, see what ICs and components are used, and then compare these to the hardware that is on your own router. Who knows, perhaps it is a simple process of porting the current v3 implementation to work on the v4.

You will also need to understand that neither OpenWRT nor LEDE specially employ people who port these firmwares to new platforms. Most of the time it is individual people who want to use either firmware on their own router, and they wrap up the sleeves and Get It Done(tm).

]

Thanks for reply Antek. I tried to download the firmware ([downloads.lede-project.org/releases/17.01.1/targets/brcm63xx/generic/lede-17.01.1-brcm63xx-generic-FAST2704N-squashfs-cfe.bin) for version 3 and try installing it but got an error of the type: Image uploading failed. The selected file contains an illegal image.

(Last edited by uNOC_u34 on 10 Jun 2017, 15:33)

Please help me guys.

Since there is no firmware image that is compatible, you will need to port and build one yourself, or hope that someone has already started a project to port OpenWRT to this platform.

While waiting for that someone to stop by at this forum, you should go and read the link I gave you earlier.

Antek wrote:

Since there is no firmware image that is compatible, you will need to port and build one yourself, or hope that someone has already started a project to port OpenWRT to this platform.

While waiting for that someone to stop by at this forum, you should go and read the link I gave you earlier.

Thanks Antek for reply and thanks for give directions.

Regards,
Jamshid

(Last edited by uNOC_u34 on 25 Jun 2017, 07:45)

I flashed this and it's working, i can use LAN and WiFI. LEDs are a bit messed up. (Need to check everything)
wiki. openwrt. org/toh/comtrend/ar5315u
(can't post links cause i just registered)
Can anyone point me a way to start creating a full openwrt build for this device based on the above.

Hey Guy,
i had tested the firmware openwrt-brcm63xx-generic-TD-W8968-squashfs-cfe.bin on TP-Link TD-W8968 v4 and works fine.

Instructions:
1 - poweroff the equipament;
2 - with the reset button pressed, turn on, wait 5 seconds..
3 - browser to url 192.168.1.1 and put the firmware openwrt-brcm63xx-generic-TD-W8968-squashfs-cfe.bin
4 - after configure .. update the packages, connect via ssh and run the commands:
opkg update
opkg list-upgradable
lookup the packages names to upgrade..
opkg upgrade <packages>

finally the environment will be stable..

Good luck!

(Last edited by leandro.silveirabarbosa on 9 Nov 2017, 01:07)

The discussion might have continued from here.