OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: no /etc/config/wireless, wifi detect produces no output

The content of this topic has been archived on 10 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I've just installed openwrt onto Netgear WNR1000v3,
file openwrt-brcm47xx-mips74k-netgear-wnr1000-v3-squashfs.chk,
and was able to connect to it via ssh root@192.168.1.1,
and found some instructions about setting values in /etc/config/...
but it seems that I should find a file /etc/config/wireless containing info
which the system autodetects, is that right?

Anyhow, there is no /etc/config/wireless, and when I try running wifi detect,
there is no output. Other possibly relevant commands I found in various documents
were
iwlist (does not exist)
iwconfig (does not exist)
iw list (no output)
iwinfo (no output)

Then I try to create /etc/config/wireless as follows
config 'wifi-device' 'wl0'
    option 'type'    'broadcom'
    option 'channel' 'auto'

config 'wifi-iface'
    option 'device'     'wl0'
    option 'network'    'lan'
        option 'mode'       'sta'
    option 'ssid'       'VodafonePocketWiFi-C29873'
    option 'encryption' 'psk2'
    option 'key'        --------------

then iwinfo wl0 scan gave No such wireless device: wl0
and wifi down or wifi up gave wl0(broadcom): Interface type not supported

Please, what should I be doing, and which is the bit of documentation which I should be looking at?

Thanks

For information about the wireless configuration, see https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/wireless

If 'iw list' doesn't show anything, it means that the physical radio device is not being detected correctly, or you do not have a suitable driver or a firmware blob for the device to make it operational.

You should restart the router and look at the output of 'dmesg' for any clues regarding why the radio device isn't initializing correctly.

When you manage to get the driver and firmware parts working, and 'iw list' shows some output, then you can remove the /etc/config/wireless file and run 'wifi detect'. This command will output a basic configuration for the device, e.g. all the things which should go to the /etc/config/wireless file. Redirect the output of the command to the said file in order to generate a baseline.

Note that if '/etc/config/wireless' exists, then 'wifi detect' might not print anything. The command only generates UCI config file for those interfaces or radio devices which do not exist in the file already.

Hello.

I imagine (I'm no sure) that is a issue with wifi firmware, because I'm testing with 14.07 version and I have wireless config file but not with 15 version even with version 17 of Lede. With version 15 and Lede, command wifi config or wifi detect command produces no output

Regards

Restart your router, open an SSH connection and post the contents of 'dmesg' command. Let's have a closer look of what's happening with the hardware.

Do not use the 'wifi' command. If your radio device is not working properly, it will not help you. You should use the following two tools to determine the status of the radio and the wireless interface on the radio:

• First try the 'iw' tool; it is intended for newer hardware/drivers which supports nl80211/cfg80211 system

• If that doesn't work, use the 'iwconfig' tool; it is intended for older hardware/drivers which use the W-Ext system

But first, let's start with the 'dmesg' output.

I coudn't reflash my Sagem F@st 2604, it goes out of memory. I've flashed an ASL-26555 with success. I know is no the same memory, but flashing Sagem is very difficult. Is quite strange because it was running OK until a month when it was changed due a fiber installation.

Regards

Boina wrote:

I coudn't reflash my Sagem F@st 2604, it goes out of memory. I've flashed an ASL-26555 with success. I know is no the same memory, but flashing Sagem is very difficult. Is quite strange because it was running OK until a month when it was changed due a fiber installation.

Regards

I fail to see how this info -- interesting as it might be -- is related to the problem at hand? We are trying to fix your wireless on a Netgear WNR1000v3.

The discussion might have continued from here.