OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WT3020F USB Don't Work

The content of this topic has been archived on 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Does anyone have a solution for a non working usb on this kind of router? I cannot get usb to work, tried both openwrt and lede derivate, they all produce the same issue,
Insmod command to load usb-ohci module don't work. It says:
Failed to find usb-ohci. Maybe it is a built in module ?
Also there is a line present in dmesg for USB 1 as well as USB 2 that's not there in the log for a working device according to wiki page. The line is
usb usb1: no of_node; not parsing pinctrl DT
hub 1-0:1.0: no of_node; not parsing pinctrl DT
The same is for USB 2
USB Drive connects, is recognized, but the same line is present there too, and if I try to mount the drive it says "wrong argument", and I cannot change to sda1 folder either, although it's present in the system.
I flashed back to stock and USB forks fine. I'm using "breed" u-boot, but I doubt that can matter.
I've been reading about this, but couldn't find much info about it, and perhaps someone can shine some light on the problem. TNX

The "not parsing pinctrl" messages are normal.

If /dev/sda1 has been created, this means that the core USB driver (EHCI, and I think dwc-otg since it is a Ralink chip) and kmod-usb-storage have done their jobs.  Most newer chips do not require OHCI, which is a USB1.1 driver.  When a USB1 device is plugged in, the internal 1 port hub converts the speed so the kernel sees it as a USB2 connection and EHCI will handle it.

The sda1 "file" is a raw representation of the sectors on the drive in linear order.  This is occasionally useful in order to "clone" a disk by making a sector-for-sector copy.  But you cannot directly open a block device as a folder of files.  In order for the kernel to work with a filesystem on a block device as a collection of files, the mount command needs the kmod-fs- matching the type of filesystem on the drive.  Most drives less than 64 GB will be pre-formatted with FAT32.

(Last edited by mk24 on 17 May 2017, 16:12)

@eduperez
Yes, I did. Still, nothing helped.

mk24 wrote:

The "not parsing pinctrl" messages are normal...

Ok, thanks for clarification, I actually suspected that was the case, but dmesg listed on the wt3020 page had me in doubt because it doesn't show that line, perhaps it has not been updated. But, I also tried completely removing the usb-ohci package, had file system packages installed, had even usb serial package installed, but usb still would not work, would not respond to command to mound drive in putty, although dmesg identify the drive and it's present in the system. Luci also doesn't show "mount point" option in a web page gui so need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

(Last edited by skojevac on 18 May 2017, 08:13)

I think I figured it out. Most likely I did not follow flashing instructions. It guess it's necessary to flash squashfs-factory first and than squashfs-sysupgrade. I initialy flashed only squashfs-sysupgrade, but after reflashing from stock following the above order, usb mount now works.

The discussion might have continued from here.