OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Help with drivers?

The content of this topic has been archived on 3 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi All,

I have a simcom 7100e mini-pcie lte modem. I need to load drivers for it on openwrt.
Simcom website states the standard usb serial driver should work, however I dont see the device.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Most of these are either cdc or RNDIS.  Try kmod-usb-net-rndis first, it will also install basic CDC.  If that does not work there are some vendor-specific kmod-usb-net-cdc- drivers.

CDC makes an Ethernet type interface to communicate IP directly to the modem.  You do not need any ppp or dialup drivers.

USB-serial is the most generic driver to be used. I got it running using Huawei, quictel, Sierra modems (all integrated). Other drivers sometimes work, or not, but are a PITA usually.
Usage of modem quite often is vendor specific. For example, Huawe modem needs to be switched on using GPIO.

In case, no /dev/ttyUSB* to be seen, check, whether all driver mods loaded.

Awesome, will give it a go, thanks!

The SimCom SIM7100 is based on the Qualcomm MDM9215 chipset according to https://techship.com/products/simcom-si … cie-china/

So I would expect it to expose at least one QMI or MBIM interface.  If so, then you'll proa\bably want to use that instead of serial.  Could you provide the /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices (with debugfs mounted), or "lsusb -v" output?

Never mind.  I found this:
http://microchip.ua/simcom/LTE/SIM7100/ … 0Linux.pdf

and the device ID referred ot there (1e0e:9001) is already known by the qmi_wwan and option drivers.  So you should just install kmod-usb-net-qmi-wwan, kmod-usb-serial-option, and uqmi.  And then look up how to set up at QMI modem in OpenWrt.

[    7.450000] usbcore: registered new interface driver qmi_wwan
[    7.520000] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_mbim
[    7.530000] usbcore: registered new interface driver option
[    7.540000] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
[    7.160000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[    7.160000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[    7.170000] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
[    2.290000] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbfs
[    2.300000] usbcore: registered new interface driver hub
[    2.300000] usbcore: registered new device driver usb

I've loaded up all the usb drivers, somehow the device is not showing up under /dev

(Last edited by InsanityFlea on 24 Apr 2017, 19:46)

Post /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices or lsusb -v output

Oh, right, forget it.  This device ID was added in January 2016, which is way after the current CC kernel.  And it doesn't seem to be back ported to any stable kernels.  Which is a bit unfortunate, sunce it means that it is missing even in the LEDE 17.01 release.  It's only in v4.5 and later kernels.

Sorry

(Last edited by bmork on 24 Apr 2017, 19:57)

Ah that explains it, thanks mate, just have to wait it out I guess.

If that is the only problem, I think you can add a module option in the file in /etc/modules.d to load the driver and tell it to seize that particular USB ID.

Getting closer to 4.5 Kernel big_smile (dev build is on 4.4.83)

I'm still just hanging in there.

(Last edited by InsanityFlea on 25 Aug 2017, 06:01)

The discussion might have continued from here.