OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Set up PPPoE

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm pretty much a newbie at OpenWRT.

I installed
OpenWrt Attitude Adjustment 12.09 / LuCI 0.11.1 Release (0.11.1)
on  my TP-Link TL-WR841N/ND v7
and got it working over PPPoE.
Then I wanted to pass it on to someone else. I wanted to remove my login password, so I deleted the "WAN" interface. Which was a mistake.

I created a new "WAN" one.
Put my login and password in again.
But I have no connectivity. Even though the network info shows an Internet IP, my PC and phone can connect to the router by ethernet and wifi respectively and get a LAN IP, but neither can get an Internet IP or go online.

Is there a guide to setting up a WAN interface for PPPoE so I can work out what I'm doing wrong?

Looks like you already have a WAN interface up and running; when you deleted it, you probably also deleted the firewall configuration, and your device is no longer forwarding traffic from the LAN interface to the WAN interface. Go to the firewall configuration, create a new WAN zone, and add the WAN interface to it; then enable forwarding and maskerading from the LAN interface to the WAN interface.

http://imgur.com/a/THlUD

Thanks! That was it. There was a WAN zone, but it was empty. So I added the new WAN and it worked.

I've set up a few commercial routers without having to worry about firewall settings until I wanted to allow torrenting, etc. Never thought it would block an interface by default.

(Last edited by AlanHK on 23 Apr 2017, 04:22)

The discussion might have continued from here.