OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Question: convert old router to network adapter openWRT

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Dear hackers,

I bricked my AWUS036H by spilling juice on it, now it runs but doesn't connect to any wireless network, be it at home or work or friend's house. it just sits there and shows list of networks .. but everytime I try "unable to connect".

These cards are not available in our markets and to order one is a really a game of waiting for a long time for shipping. Also there's the risk of having a fake. So I have been looking for alternatives.

OpenWRT shows you can use Client bridge mode and client repeater mode but this would suggest you already have a router connected to the internet, so this is for home use only to extend the range.

What I want is to use any of these linux based firmwares to convert any supported router in our market to a wireless adapter which I can use with or KALI linux as a hacking card in monitor mode. [I do not want to install Kali on the router itself]
is it possible ?!!yes or no ? if so how ?!

Thank you.

For example airserv-ng, part of aircrack-ng.  I'm not familiar with cracking tools other than aircrack but most of them likely have some similar "remote" or "drone" function.

(Last edited by mk24 on 20 Apr 2017, 14:20)

aircrack-serv can put the router in monitor mode ?! can I use the router later with windows as a wireless adapter ?

Yes, in theory.
Although there seems to be a bug, I get "assertion failed" error from airserv / network.c when I try this at home with the pre-built LEDE aircrack-ng package.  It does work when I use a self-built aircrack-ng suite between two PCs.

Step by step would be:
Install OpenWrt and aircrack-ng on the router.  (This will require a router with >4 MB flash).
Create a monitor mode interface in /etc/config/wireless on the router
Run airserv-ng -d <interface> on the router
Run any aircrack program on the PC with <router IP>:666 as the device name.

(Last edited by mk24 on 20 Apr 2017, 15:06)

mk24 wrote:

Run any aircrack program on the PC with <router IP>:666 as the device name.

thank you for replying, can you write the full command, I am not a programmer, I do by example. thank you.

The discussion might have continued from here.