OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Davidc502.. WRT1900ACS stock firmware Image not a "supported" format".

The content of this topic has been archived on 31 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I installed Davic502 build onto Linksys WRT1900ACS V2. After trying it out and seeing how difficult it was do do basic things compared to the stock Linksys firmware (like setting up a VPN server using my dynamic dns account, or even changing my DNS servers) I decided to go back to stock to try out DD-wrt.

But when I upload the Linksys firmware and click Flash image I get an error "The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform."

I am attempting to flash the stock firmware FW_WRT1900ACSV2_2.0.1.177097_prod.img back onto the router after resetting to the defaults. It is saying it is not a supported format.

What format should the firmware be in? It's an img file. This should be as easy as selecting the file, then hitting flash image. Should I just try it using the Putty/CLI method?

Is it worth mentioning that I am using the LEDE version of Davidc502's firmware?

(Last edited by aweir14150 on 19 Apr 2017, 02:14)

SCP the image to the /tmp directory on the router using WinSCP.

SSH to the router and issue the command #sysupgrade -F /tmp/FW_WRT1900ACSV2_2.0.1.177097_prod.img

Also, if you came from the stock firmware you can simply go back by doing the recovery proceedure.  https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wr … e_recovery

Thank you. I was browsing the DD-wrt forums and came across these instructions

For OpenWRT in boot part 2, you can telnet/ssh into the router and use these commands to go reboot Linksys stock in boot part 1, or to reboot whatever you have in boot part 1:

fw_setenv boot_part 1
reboot

There's a command to output the current boot part

fw_printenv boot_part

What method would recommend the most?
1.Sending the firmware image to the /tmp directory like you mentioned
2. Selecting the partition 1 (fw_setenv boot_part 1)
3. Power cycling on off 3 times.

(Last edited by aweir14150 on 19 Apr 2017, 04:37)

I followed these instruction instead and router reboot back to stock firmware. Flashing the router back to the stock firmware seems unnecessary since you can just set the other partition to boot from assuming you only flashed openwrt once.

1) download putty
2) use putty to log into your router via ssh
3) type in following command fw_printenv boot_part
4) if it return 2, type fw_setenv boot_part 1 if it return 1, type fw_setenv boot_part 2
5) type reboot
6) It will now reboot to the other partition and if you have not flash anything over it, it should be your Linksys stock firmware.

The discussion might have continued from here.