OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [D-Link DIR 845L Rev. A1] Adding plattform support

The content of this topic has been archived on 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and OpenWRT in general.

I'm very interested in contributing to the project by (helping in) adding support for the D-Link DIR 845L, I own.

I already created a device page (wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/d-link/d-link_dir-845l_rev._a1) in the wiki,
I was able to access the device via telnet and serial and I opened the case, thereby I got all the required data.

An "attached" 7z file contains further data, I was able to collect thusfar.
file-upload.net/download-12440485/OpenWRT.7z.html

The 7z contains:

• 2 prebuild Wifi binaries from the GPL tarball (one for 2.5 and one for 5 GHz)

• architecture diff

• includes diff

• drivers diff

• a text file with lines from the bootloader, that looked important to me

• data I got from traversing the linux file tree using telnet and cat

firmware released under GPL:
tsd.dlink.com.tw/GPL.asp

I hope the devs, who implemented/set up the Ralink plattform in the past will be able to help/guide me further.

I know, that I need to setup a build root now and create a flash driver and a device tree.

What I don't know for example is, how I should proceed with the given kernel config from the tarball or the diff files in general.
I skipped through them already, but I'm probably missing lots of knowledge to be able to filter out what's important and what isn't.

Stuff that confused me a bit:
/proc/cpuinfo and other places seem to list stuff, that isn't accurate in every case.
The cpu isn't the Ralink RT63165 after all and the flash isn't exactly called MX25L12805D.
I guess the RT63165 might be similar enough to the RT6856F or it's some kind of family and RT6856F is a part of it.

I'll definitely be able to test out first tries of the firmware and provide logs and so on.

Thx in advance! smile

Regards,
Djfe

PS:
The forum didn't let me use bb codes for the links, probably because I'm new.

Something I just noticed:
The DIR-626L, DIR-636L, DIR-826L and DIR-836L and this device, the DIR-845L
All seem to share the same CPU, some also wifi and the switch (according to wikidevi, techinfodepot, some blog and my own research)
so adding Plattform support for one of them might be one big step forwards to getting support for all of them into openwrt in the future smile

wikidevi.com/wiki/D-Link_DIR-636L_rev_A1
techinfodepot.info/wiki/D-Link_DIR-836L_rev_A1
love4taylor.lofter.com/post/277888_18f255c

the Linksys WAP300N will likely also profit from support
wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wap300n
natthapol89.com/2014/01/linksys-wap300n.html?m=1

edit:
and more:
NetcommWireless N300 NF5
framasphere.org/posts/682014

Linksys re2000
redeszone.net/cisco-linksys/re2000/

(Last edited by Djfe on 17 Apr 2017, 03:28)

The discussion might have continued from here.