OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Wifi on smartphone very slow

The content of this topic has been archived on 22 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,

after finding such great help with another topic, I'd like to describe one more "problem" I have using my smartphone (iphone 6s) with wifi and my OpenWrt running router LinkSys EA4500.

My router provides two wifi connections: One running under 802.11an and the other one under 802.11bgn.

With my laptop I use the 802.11an connection. With my smartphone I use the 802.11bgn connection, because the other one is not shown in the "available connections" section.

When I try to open a homepage in the safari browser or open an app, that pulls information from the internet, this takes quite long. For usage of Safari I often have to reload the loading pages, otherwise it seems to me there's endless loading. For example on google searching for results.

Generic MAC80211 802.11bgn (radio0)
Channel: 1 (2.412 GHz) | Bitrate: ? Mbit/s    
    0%     SSID: MY_WLAN | Mode: Master
BSSID: -:-:-:-:-:- | Encryption: WPA2 PSK (CCMP)

This is what Luci shows me about my 802.11bgn network.
At my job's wifi it runs quite fast and they also use OpenWrt on their router, so I expect the router to be "misconfigured" at any point.

I'd like to offer more information, if you let me know, which one.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Dirk

That's very strange! Have you solved this problem already? I am curious why it happens.

Hi carew90,

thanks for your response.
No, as far as I remember surfing with the smartphone always had this problem in my wifi. Also a friend of mine tried it and it was also very slow.
For the first load of contents I often have the feeling, as if the request would take loop ways to reach the target and that's the reason why it takes so long. But reloading e.g. the safari request, it's faster (not really fast, but it's ok).

This behavior also appears sitting directly next to the router for testing. So there's no big wall / iron / distance ... that could occur this.

Tracing via smartphone is not really possible(?), perhaps you have hints, what I can check what happens when running requests from the smartphone?

Thanks and kind regards,

Dirk

Are both wifi interfaces bridged to the LAN interface?

If you're not using IPv6, go to the DHCP server settings under LAN and set all the IPV6 to disabled.

I thought that all IPhones after the 3 have 5 GHz capability.

Hi,

thanks for your responses.

@eduperez: Yes, for me it looks like this. When I enter Luci -> Wifi -> both my wifis have their checkbox "lan" checked under "Interface Configuration" -> tab "General Setup" -> "Network".

@mk24: Luci tells me, my raspberry pi is connected via IPv6 (even if an IPv4 ip is shown in the "Host" column) and anything else. But my smartphone is shown in the "Active DHCP Leases" section.
Shall I still disable IPv6? Where do I exactly do that? In Luci I cannot find such an option.

Thanks and kind regards,

Dirk

I would suggest debugging the connection to see what is exactly slowing it down... but unfortunately I do not know of any tools for iOS. Does it happen with other devices?

dirk1312 wrote:

Shall I still disable IPv6? Where do I exactly do that? In Luci I cannot find such an option.

Network -- click Edit on LAN -- scroll down to DHCP server -- click IPv6 tab -- pull down to disable Router Advertisement and DHCP V6  Service.

Hi,

I'm quite sure this doesn't happen with my laptop connecting to that wifi connection, but I'll try today in the evening and let you know.

I don't see a LAN menu item in LUCI, only a Network, which I click and then DHCP and DNS, but there is no IPv6 tab or anything named "DHCP V6".

I added a screenshot, how the DHCP and DNS section looks on my side:

http://fs5.directupload.net/images/170412/hvxghlsw.png

Thanks and kind regards,

Dirk

Put your mouse over Network on the top line it should pop down a list where you choose Interfaces.  This goes to a page listing the interfaces.  In the LAN section find and click the Edit button.  Scroll down to just below DHCP Server there should be two tabs: General Setup and IPv6 Settings.

The EA4500 uses the same driver as the EA3500 and it's known to have problems, especially with Apple devices, I can't post links, but you should be able to find the ticket by googling #21284 EA3500 (Audi Kirkwood) wifi unstable.

Hi,

thanks for your responses.

@mk24: Thanks. Now I found the config and disabled both. To me it seems at least surfing is faster than before. The app mentioned earlier is still lazy while loading data from the app provider server. I'll keep watching the speed.

@nxtd: Thanks. I found the bug report you mentioned and read all entries. To me it seems there is no solution yet. But I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks and kind regards,

Dirk

Hi, guys. The same problem's here. And i found that it's not the wi/fi problem, because i connected my macbook 2011 through lan cable. I checked the ping on router and on laptop. I pinged youtube.com and ping was 19-20 ms on both. But when i open the page in browser it slows for about 5-8 seconds to get a response. I tried 2 iphones, MacBook and pc. Only pc doesn't have this problem and only pc has ipv6 lease in lan network.
I almost 100% sure that problem in software, because i didn't have this problem with native firmware from linksys. Mb any ideas how to fix it or at least find the reason of this?
Thank you a lot.

h t tp s://imgur.com/a/JivYI - ping results

The discussion might have continued from here.