OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys WRT-3200ACM - Wireless Stops Accepting Client Connections

The content of this topic has been archived on 5 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

On a Linksys WRT-3200ACM router, I went with davidc502's firmware known as LEDE.  The file is lede_mvebu_linksys-wrt3200acm-squashfs-factory.img.  I am also running openVPN on this router as well.  For the past few weeks, the wireless networks stop accepting clients (AC and N).  The SSIDs can be seen by all wireless clients, but cannot be connected to as it results in an error on the wireless client attempting to make a connection.  All wired clients have no issues at all and are able to maintain connectivity to the router, local (wired) network resources, and the  Internet.  Is anyone else having this issue?  My only work-aroud is to reboot the router, but I shouldn't have to to do this on a routine basis.

This is a known problem, right now it is NOT Recommended to install LEDE, OpenWrt or DD-Wrt on the Linksys Wrt3200ACM, because the Wifi driver is broken, it is being developed right now.

You can check the development status here: https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues … -287641259
Hopefully here have a more stable Wifi driver for the WRT3200ACM by the end of the month... I'm also waiting for this.

People are reporting that this issue on the rango is alleviated by running an image based on kernel 4.9.

@weaponG

If you want to try kernel 4.9 you can get a build here >  http://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/snapshots/r3681.zip

The zip contains all of the packages and images including 3200acm. Images are found under /targets/mvebu/generic/

If you try it out, please report back findings.

Thanks,

The router is being used for some critical clients and should be able to maintain WI-Fi.  Unfortunately, I am unable to test out the new kernel as this would cause additional issues and potentially ruin the relationship with the human clients.  Which stable release can I use on the WRT-3200ACM router?  Should I go back to the default Linksys OEM image for this router?  What about Tomato?  The recommendation must support OpenVPN client mode that is stable.

(Last edited by weaponG on 20 Mar 2017, 18:50)

weaponG wrote:

The router is being used for some critical clients and should be able to maintain WI-Fi.  Unfortunately, I am unable to test out the new kernel as this would cause additional issues and potentially ruin the relationship with the human clients.  Which stable release can I use on the WRT-3200ACM router?  Should I go back to the default Linksys OEM image for this router?  What about Tomato?  The recommendation must support OpenVPN client mode that is stable.

My personal opinion is to go back to the OEM Linksys stock firmaware. For now is the most stable for Wifi, or if you have another wifi AP (for example the one provided with the ISP), run the Linksys with LEDE for routing the Internet traffic with advanced features and wired connections, and the other Wifi AP for Wireless devices.

weaponG wrote:

There is currently no stable release for the 3200acm at this time. All the different flavors use the same wifi driver, so I wouldn't waste time looking around too much.

Check back in a couple of weeks as the new 3200acm wifi driver is due to be released.

In order to avoid the wifi dropping problem on the WRT3200ACM, I'm considering to set up my old router to act only as a wifi AP.

Does anyone know how to do this?

surabaya wrote:

In order to avoid the wifi dropping problem on the WRT3200ACM, I'm considering to set up my old router to act only as a wifi AP.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Search for "dumb ap" at the wiki.

the wireless networks stop accepting clients

Try pluging the old wifi router's Internet Interface into the 3200's switch interface and reboot the old router. Wifi clients should be able to connect that way.

The discussion might have continued from here.