OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Installing Crashplan in OpenWRT

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

arin wrote:

Crashplan (www.crashplan.com) is a backup software that can run silently on Linux headless devices. It's very convenient because you can backup your personal files (with versioning also) from all your computers without moving a finger. 
I would like to install it on my OpenWrt device for backupping on an attached usb disk. Previously I've successfully installed it on my old, poor nas device  (1 cpu 370 MHz, RAM 64 MB).
My current OpenWrt device is a Xiaomi Mi Wi-Fi router which is more capable, at least about ram (128 MB). And since CrashPlan runs in the background, I am not worried about its potential slowness.
Unfortunately I haven't the necessary ability to do such a task.
CrashPlan requires Java. I have downloaded and installed the embedded version (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ … index.html), but the CrashPlan installation script  (https://www.code42.com/crashplan/thankyou?os=linux) requires cpio and who, that aren't available in BusyBox. Moreover, my skill with Linux is very limited.
I am not able to compile and/or install cpio and who executables, nor to bypass the problem (maybe it's possible to run the CrashPlan installation script on another machine and then copy the resulting files on the OpenWrt device, I don't know).
Is there somebody who can be interested in this software and who would try to install it or help me in carrying out this task?
Thank you very much in advance.

I'm REALLY interested in this topic Sir ... did you get any responses or did you manage to do this? Routers are far more powerful now than when you posted this originally, so I think any new router can perfectly run Crashplan ... which will be a huge saving in power consumption (vs leaving a Linux or Windows machine running ) !

The post you are quoting seems to be talking about backing up a PC onto USB storage attached to the OpenWRT device (Crashplan's local backup.)  So the PC has to be on anyway otherwise there's no way to access the data being backed up.

Nope... It's about having the Crashplan deamon running on the router, so it can receive incoming backups from any of my computers anytime ( whenever those are running the crashplan client backs up in the background)...

I'm not familiar with Crashplan, but would it be easier to use Samba so you can mount the OpenWRT storage as a network drive in Windows, then tell Crashplan to store local backups there?

Looks like you're a smart guy smile  That would solve one of the situations... will just work for computers on the LAN, for which I already have them backing up directly into the NAS.

The problem I'm trying to solve is another one ... Crashplan functions as a "Server", with an open port to the internet, and it receive incoming backups from computers from outside of your LAN network . So I have my work computer backing up to my server at home through the router. You can also allow your friends to use your Crashplan server and store their backups in your Server ( and it can be really stored in a NAS then... per the article you've sent me ).

So, any ideas on how to compile CPIO? smile

Ah, I see now, thanks for the explanation.

cpio is an old program that is very rarely used.  I suspect it is only used to decompress the installation image (same sort of process as unzipping a .zip file.)  If it's possible to extract the installer on another Linux machine (without running the actual install) then copy the files over to OpenWRT, you might be able to avoid the need for cpio.

Does the Crashplan install script offer any command line parameters to extract the files only?  Many of the common installers have this.

Forget about this. I've read in other forums that the current CrashPlan version , even if you manage to compile it on ARM (Raspberri PI), it will not work as expected. Therefore I do not expect it to work on OPENWRT neither.

The discussion might have continued from here.