OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Bricked Nanostation M5 (XM)

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

Recently I tried to install OpenWRT on my Nanostation M5 (XM) following the official tutorial but as the page didn't mention that a previous downgrade was required for devices with AirOS v5.6.x installed now I think I bricked my device :'(

I would really appreciate any help!

This is what I did:

• Previous the update, the AirOS version was v5.6.2 (XM)

• I tried to install OpenWRT (openwrt-ar71xx-generic-ubnt-nano-m-squashfs-factory.bin) through the AirOS web interface. During the update process the AirOS web interfase window showed the message:

Uploaded Firmware Version: XM.v6.0.0-OpenWrt-r42625
    WARNING: Uploaded Firmware is from third-party, make sure you're familiar with the recovery procedure!
  • After the update process the device stopped responding (No response from Web interface nor from Ping command)

• Using TFTP I updated to the AirOS version (XM.v5.6.5.bin). The updated process showed no error, however there was still no response from Web interface nor from Ping command.

• Using TFTP I tried to install a downgrade firmware (XM.v5.5.11.bin), however the process ended with the error:

tftp: error received from server <Firmware check failed>
    tftp: aborting
  • In TFTP mode I receive a ping response from 192.168.1.20

What makes me really crazy is that when I try to connect through RS232 I receive strange characters from the device (?!). I tried using both a USB-RS232 converter and a direct connection to the pc-motherboard COM port and I receive in both these non sense characters. I'm using minicom for the connection.

$ sudo minicom -D /dev/ttyUSB0 -o -b 115200 -8
$ sudo minicom -D /dev/ttyS0 -o -b 115200 -8

This is an image of the strange characters:
h_ttp://i64.tinypic.com/n65jj7.png

This an image showing the characters in hexadecimal:
h_ttp://i63.tinypic.com/j5l0l0.png

When I connect the antenna to the power I can see the following leds activity:
[POWER, LAN1, LAN2, SIG1, SIG2, SIG3, SIG4]

• t0:
    POWER: Green
    LAN1, LAN2: Green (just for a few milliseconds then went off)
    SIG2: Orange (just for a few milliseconds then went off)

• t2:
    POWER, LAN1, LAN2: Green (LAN1 & LAN2 went off a second latter > t3)

• t15:
    POWER: Green
    LAN1, LAN2: Green (just for a few milliseconds then went off)
    SIG2: Orange (just for a few milliseconds then went off)
    SIG3: Very week green (just for a few milliseconds then went off)

• t30: Same as t15

• t45: Same as t15, t30

Is my device permanently bricked? Is there anything I can do to recover it?

Thank you!!

(Last edited by bawfree on 23 Feb 2017, 01:36)

I think I may be in the same position as you. I just created a new topic myself. The difference is that I have installed OpenWRT to AirRouter with firmware v5.6.2. And I also can't ping my device or access LuCi (web interface). Do you really think that this is "bricked" status?

Kash wrote:

I think I may be in the same position as you. I just created a new topic myself. The difference is that I have installed OpenWRT to AirRouter with firmware v5.6.2. And I also can't ping my device or access LuCi (web interface). Do you really think that this is "bricked" status?

Well I think so as we got stuck with no options, at least this is my case. Are you seeing same strange characters as me connecting through RS232?

Thanks

bawfree wrote:
Kash wrote:

Well I think so as we got stuck with no options, at least this is my case. Are you seeing same strange characters as me connecting through RS232?

Thanks

Sorry, I am not really advanced in this area. I have no idea what RS232 even is.

Kash wrote:
bawfree wrote:
Kash wrote:

Thanks

Sorry, I am not really advanced in this area. I have no idea what RS232 even is.

np, it's communication port (COM) so you can connect your router to a pc in order to interact with the booting process and thus get information or load a firmware in a recovery mode.

(Last edited by bawfree on 23 Feb 2017, 01:30)

If recovery fails for official firmware then this is a serious issue and these devices should be returned to Ubiquiti and requested to give you a working one that you can flash OpenWrt to.

I tried on a second antenna that works fine and I'm seeing same strange characters, it's really annoying :'(

Try different baud rates: 57600, 38400.

Never connect the TTL pins directly to an RS-232 port.  Also do not connect the power wire (red) of a USB-TTL converter to the router.  Connect only the two data lines and ground.

(Last edited by mk24 on 30 Apr 2017, 17:31)

The discussion might have continued from here.