OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Cannot move from DD-WRT to OpenWRT

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, I flashed my TP-Link TL-WR740N ( Ver. 5.0 ) with a beta version of DD-WRT for it ( a "12-15-2016-r30949" version ). But after a while, I found that I don't like DD-WRT, and I want to move to OpenWRT.

Unfortunately I cannot find the roll-back-to-OEM firmware file for my router in DD-WRT's site, so I tried to use TFTP to directly flash OpenWRT's firmware to my router ( from my Windows 7 laptop, by using the built-in "TFTP.exe" program ), during router's start-up.

But I got error when running TFTP - "Connect request failed". I turned off Windows firewall. But still the same error.

Is it that DD-WRT firmware does not come with a TFTP server program?    Or is it that DD-WRT locks their firmware/bootloader to protect its market share?    What can I do here?  I really don't want to get stuck with DD-WRT and cannot go anywhere else.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … mp;start=0

I see TP-Link WR740N v5.0 listed there and on the last page I see "Revert file for TP-Link WR740Nv5", the file listed there can be downloaded, just make an account on dd-wrt forum to see the download link.

Revert back to TP-Link firmware and flash OpenWRT from TP-Link firmware. Think I read on this forum that dd-wrt -> openwrt end up in bricked routers. Just to be safe do dd-wrt -> webrevert to tp-link firmware from dd-wrt (the webrevert to tp-link firmware provided by dd-wrt, not other one) -> openwrt.
I'd use an UPS when I flash the router just to make sure that a random power cut will not brick it.

If you don't see a login option in dd-wrt forum (I actually don't see such an option, supposed to be a link to the login page http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/login.php but I see none in dd-wrt forum...) just click on new topic, it will show u the login page...

At least for my 841nd v5 the webrevert from dd-wrt has some bits added to the start of the image compared to the original tp-link firmware. Probably those bits are added to all the webrevert from dd-wrt (there might be an answered somewhere about the particular added bits but I never looked for an answer tongue , some of them are the same for all and the one that are not the same look to be some sort of checksum).

(Last edited by thedukesd on 19 Feb 2017, 23:14)

The discussion might have continued from here.