OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Best WIFI Router

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

i am look for a good Wifi Router which can i connect in client mode to an eduroam network.....

At the moment i testet a TP-Link TL-WR841N and a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND but at both the wifi connection is not stabile enough... so i m look for a better model with a higher reach and Transmission rate

At the moment i connect to the network with openwrt and Signal strength is between 60 -75 % so i finde the connection is good but the problem is that i have often high pings or drop outs....

So it would be nice if someone can tell me a wifi router which is better 4 me !

Greetz Xtrimo

Hello,

have you tried to change the antennas? TP-Link offers some nice indoor antennas for the 1043nd. They are called "TL-ANT2408CL" Maybe you will get a better wifi connection.

Christoph

yes i tried but only with looking for different signal strength... and the result was not relay better.... =/

Hello,

after you changed _all three_ antennas to new ones (TL-ANT2408CL) there was no change in the signal strength?

Christoph

(Last edited by rj-45 on 8 Feb 2017, 10:10)

I think there was no changes .....

If you're in a dormitory or apartment block you're going to have heavy radio interference from all the neighbors.  Moving your wifi to 5 GHz could help.

Can you tell me a good device which is working in 5 GHZ with openwrt ?

hello,

you are connected to the eduram network via wifi, right?  And you are connected  to your openwrt router via ethernet/cable?

Yes the tp link has only ohne wifi Connection and this is with eduroam

Im my rooms i Share the Connection via LAN cable

xtrimo wrote:

Can you tell me a good device which is working in 5 GHZ with openwrt ?

The linksys 1900acs is damn good on both 2.4 and 5Ghz.

hello,

I don't think a 5Ghz device will help, because the eduram wifi uses 2.4 Ghz and for the lan he uses cables. So the only ways to improve the wifi 2.4 Ghz connection is 1) with better antennas or 2) with a device with very good 2.4 Ghz WiFi performance. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Christoph

Good Morning,

yes your 2 points are correct..... i have order new antennas via amazon...and a don't know a better device for 2.4GHZ

But i think eduroam is also reachable in 5 GHZ in some areas.... this is written on the homepage of some universitys and on my university is written

In all areas is 802.11g supportet, in some also 802.11a.
In manny buildings the accespoints can use 802.11n, occasional alsow 802.11ac

So i think the second sentens stands for 5 GHZ or is it fals ?

Short information.

I bought a Archer C7 1750.... and it is working with 5 GHZ. The last question ist, are there bigger antennas for 5 GHZ for this router !?

Greetz
X

The antennas outside are for 5G and very long for this frequency. I don't know whats inside of the antennas.  It could be they have more than 3dB. But you can remove  they and you are able to connect other antennas. The connector locks like SMA or reverse SMA.

(Last edited by dnkru on 13 Feb 2017, 11:49)

The discussion might have continued from here.