OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Help for new router

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hallo to everyone.

My Linksys EA4500 is dead, after 4 years of good job (many of the with OpenWrt) seems stopped working, maybe I'll try to debrick with usb-ttl cable, but now I need a new router to use with OpenWRT.

I'm looking for Gigabit, 5Ghz + 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi with multi-ssid capability, obviously OpenWRT support. The router also perform as NAT (mobile hard drive attached) and has to manage well 5 PCs in Wi-Fi, some smartphones, Sky decoder, 3 PCs in GigaBit, running firewall and an aggressive QoS (one of the 2 WiFi is for guests and tenants), and has to be a VPN server with 2 o 3 clients.
EA4500 was often with 75% average load, in certain moments 100% and the network got very slow: I had to power off it and wait some minutes... I've known for some time that an improvement was needed!

Now I'm using my old WRT54GL with DD-WRT witch I was in use for the box networking for basic domestic use, but I need a substitute.
Looking at the ToH special: Gbit, Dualband, 802.11ac, OpenWrt supported, Filtered by availability*~Available & supported current rel*~15.05 & ram mb*~ I'm thinking about WRT-1200AC, but I'm here to get some suggestions.

Budget is around 150 Euros.
Thanks in advice.

hello,

what about tp-link archer c7?

Christoph

It's an 800Mhz single-core with 128MB and 16MB flash, my previous EA4500 was very similar with more memory and -as I wrote- I want also something better.

Thanks.

Finally I bought an Asus RT-AC68U. Now I'll use DD-WRT, waiting for OpenWRT ;-)

brambil, Did you try install Lede version ?

The discussion might have continued from here.