OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-link MR3020

The content of this topic has been archived on 15 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

Flashed latest OpenWRT image and everything is working just fine. However there is not much space left for additional apps, so I was thinking of doing some HW modifications.

Target is:

1) Maintain the external USB port.
2) Add second USB port hidden inside the box.
3) Use USB storage on the hidden port to allow bigger apps to be installed.

Plan was to de-solder the existing USB port, add a small USB hub inside and connect it to the old USB pins. Solder the old USB port to the hub.

Is this a possible solution? And how about the software. Can I run the entire system on a USB device connected through a hub? Or do I need to keep the base system on built-in flash, and use the USB storage only for addtional apps?

Br, Joakim

It can't boot from USB.  You will need a base system in the internal flash.  The overall concept is that very shortly after booting, the entire root filesystem is "pivoted", or replaced by an extended copy on the USB drive.  The kernel booted out of the internal flash continues to run.

If you only need 8 or 16 MB of space, upgrading the flash chip is also possible.  This will require a hacked build to use the larger chip.

(Last edited by mk24 on 30 Jan 2017, 19:23)

The discussion might have continued from here.