OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TL-WR841N/ND v11 as "Dumb AP" - No Internet Connection

The content of this topic has been archived on 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi!

I am trying to use a brand new TP-Link TL-WR841N/ND v11 as an Access Point using the "Dumb AP" Guide [As I new member I do not seem to be able to post links] (via LUCI).

The "dumb switch" part of it is working fine, I am able to use all the LAN ports as expected. I've got the wifi setup the same way I have on my other routers / APs. However, devices connected to the wifi are not able to connect to the internet. My two IOS devices state "Keine Internetverbindung" ("No Internet Connection").

Has anyone got a clue what might be wrong?

Model    TP-Link TL-WR841N/ND v11
Firmware Version    OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 r49208 / LuCI for-15.05 branch (git-16.090.31416-605d1f1)
Kernel Version    3.18.29

i.imgur.com/F3vGOAY.png

i.imgur.com/FP5IbhO.png

[Again, not being able to insert links, pls copy+paste]

I seem to remember having similar issues on a TP-Link WR1043N v1 running DD-WRT, which was why I switched back to stock firmware on that device. Am I missing something or is this a bit tricky with TP-Link devices?

Thanks!

It seems, devices trying to use the wifi are not getting an IP address. Why are they not able to get one? On the AP, I have disabled DHCP as that role is taken by my router.

I disabled both

Domain required
  Don't forward DNS-Requests without DNS-Name

and

Authoritative
  This is the only DHCP in the local network

under Network --> DHCP and DNS and now it seems to work.

The wireless overview still doesnt show the IPv4-Addresses of the devices, but maybe it just doesnt know.

Was that the correct fix?

(Last edited by janw on 12 Jan 2017, 07:54)

On your main router, what DHCP IP range does it have? For example, does it assign IP to devices from 193.168.1.2 to .254?

For some routers, your dumb AP needs to be inside this range, in others, outside.

Please try this:
1. On your main router, set DHCP IP range from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.50.
2. Assign / Reserve static IP to your TL-WR841N to 192.168.1.254.

In the above example, we set your AP outside the range.

CaptainNemo wrote:

On your main router, what DHCP IP range does it have? For example, does it assign IP to devices from 193.168.1.2 to .254?

For some routers, your dumb AP needs to be inside this range, in others, outside.

Please try this:
1. On your main router, set DHCP IP range from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.50.
2. Assign / Reserve static IP to your TL-WR841N to 192.168.1.254.

In the above example, we set your AP outside the range.

Thanks for your reply!
DHCP range on main router ist .100 --> .170
So, Dumb AP is currently configured outside that range with 192.168.1.4. Should I move it inside?

As I said above, at the moment it is working, after I disabled the DHCP Authoritative on the Dumb AP. I guess that was the problem.

The discussion might have continued from here.