OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWrt on DIR-510L

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I am looking for OpenWrt for the DIR-510L, and relatively new to the development/customization process.

I first found this page on the MediaTek MT7620 that says "This chip is supported by recent versions of OpenWRT distribution, with open-source driver".

I also found this page specifically on OpenWrt for the DIR510L.

It has the installation process:

→ Obtain firmware
    → Install OpenWrt
    → Latest OpenWrt release

and below that a table where "Firmware OpenWrt Install URL" and "Firmware OpenWrt Upgrade URL" are blank.

Since there are no pre-assembled (prebuilt) image files, I assume that means I will need to use one of these methods to obtain the firmware:

2) Use the Image Generator to generate an OpenWrt firmware image file yourself. (Generate in terms of compose, arrange, assort, lump together)
3) Use the SDK to cross-compile packages. This process involves:
4) Use the OpenWrt Buildroot to do everything from scratch. This process involves:

I should attempt these in order of 2), 3) and 4) I presume. 

Are there any other guidelines or recommendations to keep in mind?

(Last edited by timg11 on 11 Jan 2017, 16:47)

That's the only activity regarding DIR-510L: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/20318
Nobody ever submitted a patch -> This device is not supported by OpenWrt (and neither by LEDE).
Image generator of course can only compile what has previously been added, i.e. you will not be able to find this device in the image builder.

When the ticket says "This router features MediaTek MT7620 SoC and I guess it could be easily supported."  what does that really mean?

I need to follow options 3) SDK and cross compile, or 4) use the OpenWRT Buildtool?

Is it just a matter of pulling together the pieces and building? Or is there a key functionality that is entirely missing and would have to be written from scratch?   Does the GPL code from D-Link help any?

timg11 wrote:

Is it just a matter of pulling together the pieces and building?

https://ae01.alicdn.com/wimg/common/single/emotions/6.gif

@anarchy99,  obviously it is not trivial, or somebody would have done it over the past 3 years the DIR-510L has been shipping.  My question ---  Is the lack of support because:

1) Small market penetration for this device, and thus small population of owners interested in putting in the effort

2) A significant "show-stopper" technical issue exists, that fundamentally prevents OpenWRT support.

That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm will to put effort into developing, but I don't want to spend lots of time retracing effort that has already been done, and then independently discovering an insurmountable roadblock.

(Last edited by timg11 on 12 Jan 2017, 17:06)

I found that hnyman posted to the Wiki Page for the DIR-510L.  As far as can tell this board does not have private messaging. I'd like to ask hynyman how the work with the DIR-510L concluded.  Was it abandoned? If so was that due to lack of time or need, or was there a technical issue?

(Last edited by timg11 on 12 Jan 2017, 17:19)

MT7620 in general is supported.

The reason why the DIR-510L is not supported has been given above already: Nobody ever submitted a patch that adds support for this device.

I love the little TP-Link routers, and I have one of them. However my goal with the DIR-510L is a travel router with WAN hotspot connection on 2.4 GHz, and LAN on 5 GHz.  Does TP-link have any travel-size routers with 5 GHz dual-band support? I searched and did not find any.

The discussion might have continued from here.