OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Can I use netgear source code modules/drivers to build my own DD?

The content of this topic has been archived on 17 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi to all, I have got a netgear D7800 wich is running a stock firmware of netgear based on attitude adjustment. I just tried the trunk DD there are so much problems with the WAN interface(it can receive packets only if connected to another gigabit ethernet interface while if I connect it to a 100 megabit ethernet interface it can only send packets but not receive packets), the wireless interfaces don't work and i can't see any of them by using ifconfig, the ADSL modem doesn't work...so I ask your help cause I downloaded source code of the netgear firmware who contains thos modules/drivers to compile to get the same firmware, can I use some of those source codes to build my own DD trunk with those modules to get wireless, wan and modem work? How should I do? Because they has been used in the attitude adjustment so I don't know If it would work right...what should I edit in the make files? Sorry but I'm a newbie in the compiling of firmware. Thanks to all to anyone who can help me, cheers from Italy ciaooo

I don't believe stock Netgear firmware is OpenWrt based.

Netgear do release certain source code in terms of the GPL. If they release the drivers you want then theoretically you can port them into OpenWrt. However, this requires an advanced level of skill as well as the ability to program in C.

If you're a newbie, it's most likely out of your grasp for the moment.

dl12345 wrote:

I don't believe stock Netgear firmware is OpenWrt based.

Netgear do release certain source code in terms of the GPL. If they release the drivers you want then theoretically you can port them into OpenWrt. However, this requires an advanced level of skill as well as the ability to program in C.

If you're a newbie, it's most likely out of your grasp for the moment.

Thank you for the answer, I just saw the files in the source code firmware of d7800 router and it is based on attitude adjustment with some other folders I think they are about the packages and other stuffs they programmed for that firmware. I would like to know only if I can put those folders directly in the openwrt folder then compile them with the toolchain to vet dd trunk with those modules\drivers.

slimshady984 wrote:

I would like to know only if I can put those folders directly in the openwrt folder then compile them with the toolchain to vet dd trunk with those modules\drivers.

Extremely low probability of success

thank you for the answer, so how must I do then? those source code have got the key to get all interfaces work properly...I need to get some informations if someone can take a look at those source code firmware and this work is doable. Thank you for the help

Even if this might sound rude, but... If you have to ask, you won't be able to do it.

It starts with checking if the relevant stuff is actually included -and available as source- in the vendor tarball, combined with most likely a lot of forward-/ backporting (highly non-trivial) and sprinkled with a big chance of bricking your device. There simply is no step-by-step guide for this, you'd need to have a solid understanding about what you're doing and either quite some experience with developing on embedded devices and/or very fault-tolerant hardware which forgives you trying, while gathering said experience. Either way, if you had said experience, you wouldn't ask for generic howtos (which simply don't exist, as every device provides you with different challenges - only long term experience helps you find (partial) common ground), but would come up with quite specific questions about problematic details.

The discussion might have continued from here.