OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND V4

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Mar 2018 and 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

So, I tested it. Great that it works but it has dropped my LAN speeds to 25 Mbps, from 97 on the stock firmware... That's odd.

(Last edited by Spider-Vice on 23 Dec 2016, 02:54)

LAN - or WAN to LAN (NAT'ing)?

Borromini wrote:

LAN - or WAN to LAN (NAT'ing)?

WAN to LAN. I have HW NAT disabled on the stock firmware too as it's really buggy and I get full speed with it disabled there, so I don't think it should be that?

(Last edited by Spider-Vice on 26 Dec 2016, 14:19)

Here's the thread I did on it on the LEDE forums with full diagnosis of what I found

forum.lede-project.org/t/tp-link-wr1043nd-v4-issue/707

(Last edited by Spider-Vice on 27 Dec 2016, 20:39)

Any news about supporting V4?

I have got today the same situation as the other people, I bought WR1043ND from Amazon, it supposed to be V3 but I received V4, I need OpenWRT really on my router, if it will take long, I will return the item and try to get V3 some where.
May I get any news or does any one know anything about the release date?

I also experienced that the router rebooted spontaniously (that happened one time but I have got the router only today in the morning), did any one face that?

I don't want to try LEDE because I don't know how can I revert to the stock firmware.

Regards.

(Last edited by mne91 on 3 Jan 2017, 16:30)

Now I can confirm that LEDE is an excellent functional OpenWRT alternative for this router V4, I have been using it for a couple of days, and it works very very well, and it is very stable, I have not seen any bug. I highly recommend it.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to backport the V4 support (even if it'll be alive in that form for a few weeks until any merge). Will put this onto the todo list, if anyone is happy to test the builds.
-w-

wigyori wrote:

Doesn't seem like a big deal to backport the V4 support (even if it'll be alive in that form for a few weeks until any merge). Will put this onto the todo list, if anyone is happy to test the builds.
-w-

That's great! Thanks.

From performance point of view, I noticed the following:

I have a V1 and a V4 version of this router. On V1 I can measure 140Mbits (iperf3 server running on the router itself), on V4 I can measure 150Mbits, both time LAN-LAN. The CPU of the SoC maxes out both times.

From specs. point of view V4 seems to be a lot faster (new instruction set, 50% hiher clock rate), yet its barely faster with iperf3 even on LAN-LAN.

This is from the raw cpu point of view, I am not talking about the network speed nor the NAT speed.

The question is if the current LEDE (or openwrt) firmware is using all the capabilities of the hardware or not?

Dchard

wigyori wrote:

For those who are brave enough, here is a snapshot:

Obviously no warranties / etc, as I don't have such a device. Make sure you have a level shifter nearby, just in case. smile

(For those who ask why we spend effort, the answer is that this will be backported into CC if works correctly.)

-w-

It flashes and boots, but no internet connection whatsoever.

EDIT: Nevermind, had to restart my main modem. Probably a MAC Address issue. LAN to WAN issue is also on OpenWRT, as it is present on LEDE. 100 Mbps links will not go above 30 Mbps from/to the WAN.

Bizarre driver issue.

(Last edited by Spider-Vice on 14 Jan 2017, 21:43)

@wigyori thanks for your efforts to port it! What does "CC" mean though ?

ProudlyTM wrote:

Chaos Calmer, current OpenWRT release.

nitroshift

I wanted to install LEDE in my wr1043 v4. But I've never installed a Lede before. Can you all give a tutorial link? Including how if I want to go back to stock firmware.

nitroshift wrote:
ProudlyTM wrote:

Chaos Calmer, current OpenWRT release.

nitroshift

Ah, I see. Thank you!

Spider-Vice wrote:
wigyori wrote:

Obviously no warranties / etc, as I don't have such a device. Make sure you have a level shifter nearby, just in case. smile

(For those who ask why we spend effort, the answer is that this will be backported into CC if works correctly.)

-w-

EDIT: Nevermind, had to restart my main modem. Probably a MAC Address issue. LAN to WAN issue is also on OpenWRT, as it is present on LEDE. 100 Mbps links will not go above 30 Mbps from/to the WAN.

Bizarre driver issue.

Alright, so just to confirm, your v4 works fine with the image I posted?

-w-

I am newbie a bit ... so may be it is not usefull ... :-)

I have installed openwrt image wigyori posted 7.1. and it works fine for me.

For installing anything, I have added package sources and proxy settings in /etc/opkg.conf. (forum software prohibits me for writing any urls, so I do not copy it here :-D )

... if it helps someone.

I have only tried it as a wifi AP for Lenovo T430... wifi speed around 3MB/sec within a 1m distance ....
(there is a linux server with gigabit ethernet connected into wan interface on the other side ... with some soho switches in the way)
Wired network interfaces handles much more... so it is ok for me.

I can do some benchmarks/tests, if it hepls... before I take router to it's new home. :-) It is planned as a home router/AP/etc... for some notebooks and one "crazy gamer" ... with much slower internet connection, so I see no problem on router's side yet.... :-)

So Thank you for your time. :-)

Fine, I have tried installing kmod-usb-storage and got some error.  :-) I understand it as module is for kern. 4.4.14 and there is 4.4.39 running. :-) So I expect wrong sources for downloading packages. :-) Is there a mirror with modules for current kernel? :-)  (It is not needed for router's planned use)

used sources something like
src/gz chaos_calmer_base .....downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/packages/base
errr... ht_tp:// is that .....  only forum sw still complains about links.

... same for others. Pasted if from web somewhere and it solved instalation of luci and other packages.... tongue

(for info: wired lan-wan , nat included - download 48MB/sec  wget and scp... I am happy with it)

Thanks for the feedback that the image works, I'll go and push the patches into trunk.

Now for the 4.4.39 - the image might have been built with this kernel upgrade, which is yet to make its way into trunk, which is the reason why you can't go ahead and install kmod packages from the download servers, which contain 4.4.14 modules as of now. This issue will be "cleaned up" soon.

Thanks,
-w-

Happy to hear it. :-D  Is there something I can help with? I.e. to speed that "soon"? :-D .... or where I can get info, when that "soon" happens? :-)

wigyori: Will ssh access to that router be useful for you?  (ehm... single ip address or via openvpn tunnel, not worldwide :-D )

No, thanks - I just need to find some time to clean up the patches from that build and push into trunk. smile

-w-

wigyori wrote:
Spider-Vice wrote:
wigyori wrote:

-w-

Bizarre driver issue.

Alright, so just to confirm, your v4 works fine with the image I posted?

-w-

Yes, can reconfirm it worked here.

Mti. wrote:

(for info: wired lan-wan , nat included - download 48MB/sec  wget and scp... I am happy with it)

Yeah, the issue only happens if you're connected via a 100Mbps link. Gigabit works fine. It's really weird.

(Last edited by Spider-Vice on 4 Feb 2017, 04:27)

Probably when masters release a beta version for v4 ?

1-2 months ?

Masters == ?

The buildmaster will start building images for this router in the next few days.

-w-

It does not work. I can not run or install LUCI. It says: cannot install package

(Last edited by PARADOX_sf on 7 Feb 2017, 19:16)