OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Changing in target/linux/ar71xx/config-x.x has no impact in build_dir

The content of this topic has been archived on 8 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I want to terminate kernel message printed on console via CONFIG_CMDLINE="rootfstype=squashfs,jffs2 noinitrd console=null" described in this wiki page:  wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/terminate.console.on.serial

This config is located in target/linux/ar71xx/config-x.x. I change the file, and then use following commands:

make target/linux/clean
make target/linux/prepare
make

But there is no sign of "console=null" in build_dir/target-mips_34kc_uClibc-xx/linux-ar71xx_generic/linux-x.x.x/ when I use

grep -R "console=null"

The "CONFIG_CMDLINE" entry in target/linux/ar71xx/config-x.x is originally without console=null and it is just CONFIG_CMDLINE="rootfstype=squashfs,jffs2 noinitrd". This config (without console=null) is found in several files in the above mentioned build_dir path, like .config, .config.target, ar7_deconfig, but there is no sign of console=null in there.
Even when I change those files in build_dir manually and add console=null to them, after compiling it these changes become disappear and there is no sign of console=null again.
I have no  idea what is going on in here, and it has made me confused.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

(Last edited by majid.it on 29 Oct 2016, 13:10)

Run 'touch' on the Makefile before the other commands you enter, then see if it does update?

thanks for reply,
I tested it but it had no result. When I run make kernel_menuconfig console=null appears in several files in build_dir but after make V=s all become disappeared again and kernel messages will be printed on console after changing firmware, thus I dont know whether the console=null is working or not.

I found the problem, there is a "config-default" file in target/linux/ar71xx/generic that the command CONFIG_CMDLINE="rootfstype=squashfs,jffs2 noinitrd" was written in it. so it replaced it with the everything in config-x.x. I commented that line and every thing goes well but it printed on screen anyway. So, I tried "loglevel=0" instead of "console=null" and it worked!!!!. Although, it prints some safe mode logs on console but it can be removed via commenting echo command in preinit files.

The discussion might have continued from here.