OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenVPN and PIA on a Archer C7

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi guys,

I followed this tutorial step by step trying to get PIA working on a c7 router :

https://www.robertkehoe.com/2015/08/set … g-openwrt/

My configuration windows looks exactly like these on the page but when I do the last step : "25. Goto: Services -> OpenVPN, check the Enabled checkbox beside our”pia_client”, then press the Start button, your VPN should now start up." It won't start.

Here the message I get in syslog :
daemon.err openvpn(pia_client)[1978]: Options error: specify only one of --tls-server, --tls-client, or --secret

So what does that mean? Is this related to what the guys in the comments said (port problem?)

Thanks a lot.

No one? :-/

Apparently it doesn't know what mode to assume... Server or client? It needs to be specified in Cyptography.

Thanks david for your reply.

I was able to figure things out. The last comment of this page made things work :

"With the new CA file, you now need to specifiy the port under VPN settings (1198).
I also had to specify encryption (AES-128-CBC) and authentication (SHA1).
"

I needed to add port option to change it to 1198. And I also had to add cipher and auth options.

Hope this will help.

(Last edited by b.bo on 1 Oct 2016, 12:34)

Last question on this matter.

How to keep the OpenVPN pia_client interface always in start mode? It seems that sometimes it turns off for no reason...

(Last edited by b.bo on 1 Oct 2016, 16:25)

Enable OpenVPN in System/Startup and make sure to enable only PIA profile in Services/OpenVPN.

Ok I did that. Thanks a lot stangri.

I hope that would help. I've tried a few VPN providers and PIA seems to be the most reliable out of the recommended cheaper ones, never had a problem with PIA, although I'm not using their DNS.

Indeed PIA is a a great VPN provider. The only annoying thing about PIA is the CAPTCHA page (One More Step) that appears more often that it used to be.

But unfortunately it still stops. I'll post later the syslog logs. It may help figuring this out.

The discussion might have continued from here.