OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: DIR-615 E3 Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 with wifi needed

The content of this topic has been archived on 28 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I was given a DIR-615 vers. E3 and want to install OpenWrt firmware. I have read a lot about OpenWrt and its application to the DIR-615 but it is a bit confusing.

Some of the information states that the DIR-615 E3 is incompatible with Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 and there's other information which says it is compatible except that, because there's only 4Mb of flash rom, the wifi/wireless function can't be installed. There's other information which states that wireless can be installed but without the ipv6 function or ppp or something else in order to have enough flash rom room. There's also other information which states that the E3 and E4 firmware are compatible and that E4 firmware can be use if the "magic" number is changed to the one for the E3. Other information states that the DIR-615 E3 has been merged with the DIR-600 A1 OpenWrt firmware.

Considering all that, I have managed to install the DIR-615 E4 OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05/LuCI (git-15.248.30277-383b45) kernel version 3.18.20 by changing the E4 magic number to the one for the E3 (AP99-AR7240-RT-091105-01) but the wifi function is missing. I need the wifi function and intend to use the DIR-615 E3 as a VPN router behind my general purpose router which is connected to my cable modem.

Is there a wifi enabled version of OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 for the DIR-615 E3? If there is I would appreciate someone pointing me to it. If there isn't a "readymade" would someone write about what I need to do to either modify the existing DIR-615 E4 firmware or whatever is compatible (DIR-600 A1 ???) or another solution to accomplish what I need.

The only way to put  Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 on a DIR-615 is compile a custom a build without LUCI and config it through the UCI.I have a lot of the E3 and i use Barrier Breaker on all of the them with the luci i just open the firmware in a HEX program and chang the very last number from 5 to 1 and the E4 firmware will go on a E3.

ckm,

Which version of Barrier Breaker are you using on the DIR-615 E3?

I use Barrier Breaker 14.07 i don't download from site i compile my own and i add relayd to set them up a client bridges also i did compile Chaos Calmer with BATMAN-ADV with no luci and firewall and they worked great as mesh nodes.I really like the DIR-615 router they work prefect with OPENWRT.

Thanks for info.

I'll install Barrier Breaker 14.07 in it.

There's a DIR-615 C1 I can get for $10. There's a precompiled 15.05.1 on OpenWrt for the C1 I may install if I get it. 

I should learn how to compile my own too.

can i see your mesh config using batman-adv ? i have problem non user mesh can't connected

The discussion might have continued from here.