OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: RT3352 - How can I get better range with Openwrt?

The content of this topic has been archived on 3 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

The stock firmware that comes with my Ralink RT3352 module has better range than OpenWrt. What are some things (tried and proven and outside of antennas) that I can try to get the range of OpenWrt on par with the stock firmware? I appreciate your feedback greatly. Thanks.

/ # ubus -v call system board
{
        "kernel": "3.18.21",
        "hostname": "OpenWrt",
        "system": "Ralink RT3352 id:1 rev:6",
        "model": "Allnet ALL5002",
        "release": {
                "distribution": "OpenWrt",
                "version": "Bleeding Edge",
                "revision": "all",
                "codename": "designated_driver",
                "target": "ramips\/rt305x",
                "description": "OpenWrt Designated Driver all"
        }
}

in /etc/config/wireless you can try to specify

config wifi-device  radio0
   option type mac80211
   option country '00' # <------
   option txpower '20' # <------

You can try to increase txpower. Sometimes wifi won't come up, if you specify the value too high. 20 is max for many devices, on some you can't even set 20.

(Last edited by nozombian on 20 Sep 2016, 22:23)

nenekofi wrote:

The stock firmware that comes with my Ralink RT3352 module has better range than OpenWrt.

Can you please share what hardware/software do you use to measure effective WiFi range?

nozombian wrote:

in /etc/config/wireless you can try to specify

config wifi-device  radio0
   option type mac80211
   option country '00' # <------
   option txpower '20' # <------

You can try to increase txpower. Sometimes wifi won't come up, if you specify the value too high. 20 is max for many devices, on some you can't even set 20.

Thanks Nozombian. I've cranked the txpower to the max, 30dBm, and that didn't entirely fix the issue.

stangri wrote:
nenekofi wrote:

The stock firmware that comes with my Ralink RT3352 module has better range than OpenWrt.

Can you please share what hardware/software do you use to measure effective WiFi range?

Thanks Stangri for the reply.

No hardware/software for the test. Just pure empirical evidence. I have a wireless camera connected to the RT3352 module, and its about 80-90ft away from RT3352 network module. When connected to the module with the stock firmware, the camera never disconnects. When connected to the module with OpenWrt, the camera intermittently disconnects. It does reconnect and will maintain the connection for sometime. But it will eventually disconnect and reconnect.

Other cameras connected to this AP, do NOT have the same disassociation issues with either the stock firmware or OpenWrt.  But they are also closer to the AP, hence my thinking that it is probably a range issue.

Ruling out the device, I swapped this camera in question with another one and the same behaviour is observed with the stock firmware and openwrt.

nenekofi wrote:
stangri wrote:
nenekofi wrote:

Thanks Stangri for the reply.

No hardware/software for the test. Just pure empirical evidence. I have a wireless camera connected to the RT3352 module, and its about 80-90ft away from RT3352 network module. When connected to the module with the stock firmware, the camera never disconnects. When connected to the module with OpenWrt, the camera intermittently disconnects. It does reconnect and will maintain the connection for sometime. But it will eventually disconnect and reconnect.

Other cameras connected to this AP, do NOT have the same disassociation issues with either the stock firmware or OpenWrt.  But they are also closer to the AP, hence my thinking that it is probably a range issue.

Ruling out the device, I swapped this camera in question with another one and the same behaviour is observed with the stock firmware and openwrt.

It does not necessarily mean lack of range. I have one cheap tablet at home which also experiences random disconnects from n-network, however it's rock-solid when connected to ac-network.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a solution, I can only share my own experience. If increasing TX/RX helps -- great (and please post back)!

The discussion might have continued from here.