OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: What is the best firmware for Archer C7?

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Apr 2018 and 27 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello everyone,

I'm running an Archer C7 v2 on LEDE Reboot r1721 (trunk, directly self-compiled from GitHub).
I'm having weird issues only on Linux clients connecting to the router where my network traffic is being timed out when accessing different websites. I'm unable for weeks now to analyze well where this is happening even with assistance in various forums.
I would like to try out Gargoyle 1.9.1 pre-built and see if it changes anything in the behaviour.

I understand that I can just flash Gargoyle sysupgrade.bin over the LEDE install without a problem, I did just that with LEDE over OpenWrt.
¿But can I just as much flash the factory.bin over the existing LEDE install?
¿Would that benefit from anything (newer drivers or something)?

When I got my Archer it soft bricked like for so many others when I tried to flash Chaos Calmer and I had to do 30/30/30s and whatnot to get it back, compile a trunk image and that worked.
My fear is that this could happen again if I try to flash the Gargoyle factory.bin and well, as mentioned, I don't even know if it would benefit from anything.

Grateful for any advice here.

(Last edited by Rackskop on 3 Oct 2016, 22:28)

According to @tapper, Gargoyle 1.9.1 has a fix for Archer C7v2 so it would NOT soft-brick. If you were to flash Gargoyle I'd recommend you do NOT keep settings.

PS. Are your Linux clients wired or wireless?

stangri, does this apply for the FACTORY.bin also?!
I'd indeed not keep settings, like broadly advertised around the web smile

The linux clients have that problem wired or wireless, with or without bluetooth. I've got a seperate thread here in the forum about it, but it's way further down.

(Last edited by Rackskop on 4 Oct 2016, 00:44)

tapper wrote:

Hi Rackskop yes mate you can just flash the sis upgrade over LEDE. [...]

tapper do you know if the FACTORY firmware would flash just as fine? I know I can flash the SYSUPGRADE.bin of any OpenWrt based firmware over and over again without problems.
My doubts are about flashing a FACTORY.bin and if it would have ANY benefits (like newer kernel etc.)?

Yes you can flash factory repeatedly. No there is nothing to gain in terms of image content differences, It is the setup of your partitioning i.e transparent to you as an end user. Have done it many times on my c7v2 when fighting an image compilation issue. Supposedly less flash wear using sysupgrade. I would stick with that once you have an image running. Should not be an issue between "family" builds, but I would be inclined to use factory going from gargoyle-owrt-lede, sysupgrade once I have an image in place.

Thank you very much Villeneuve, your comment is very much appreciated!

Thanks

The discussion might have continued from here.