OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WR941HP OpenWrt compatibility

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi All,

I purchased this to get better coverage in my solid brick home - although it works, the range doesn't seem much better than my existing router WDN600 (running OpenWrt firmware).

Also, there are very few features (no QoS!), so my VoIP is terrible when I'm streaming anything else.

Has anybody had a chance to do some research on this unit as to whether it has OpenWrt compatibility?

I'm hoping it shares the WR941 chipset as it should then work like the WR941ND?

Any help with getting OpenWrt on this router would be great - thanks!

(Last edited by lhpro on 2 Sep 2016, 00:49)

Anybody able to answer this?

Open it and see what hardware it has.

lhpro wrote:

I purchased this to get better coverage in my solid brick home - although it works, the range doesn't seem much better than my existing router WDN600 (running OpenWrt firmware).

The concept of wireless communication is BOTH parties (sender and receiver) need to be able to reach the other end. It is like talking and listening.

If your wireless router is able to transmit farther but your devices (mobile phone, laptop, etc) are unable to transmit as far as the router can, then there is no point to have that strong signal as your devices can "listen" but cannot "shout back" to the router, which eventually fail the wireless communication.

In such case, a repeater is a better solution, to be closer to the other party (mobile phone, laptop, etc), hence you may want to use this TL-WR941HP as repeater instead of acting as the main router (if it is the setup when you raised your comments).

In order to maximize the "high power" feature in relation to distance, you may want to consider to use 2x TL-WR941HP. First unit to act as your main router (to replace the WDN600), the other unit to act as the repeater. By then, you can enjoy the "high power" feature.

Other consideration is signal power limit set by authorities. Of course the devices can be designed to use higher power transmitter so it can "shout back" to the wireless router, but it may pose risks to health due to transmission of strong signal, especially mobile phone which is very close to the human when it is in-use. Or cause interference to nearby devices if they operate in same channel.

(Last edited by n38914h on 13 Feb 2017, 16:08)

The discussion might have continued from here.