OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys EA3500 Bricked

The content of this topic has been archived on 4 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I do succeed to install the uImage from cloud.directupload.net/1AhK.
The way i do it is by turning on the router while pressing the reset and wps button.
After about 20/30 secs it uploads the image from TFTP on the PC.
Anyway something is wrong with the image. opkg update works.
But opkg install does not work. get an error about not enough location.

Please help.

I cannot build/make since i do not have linux and actually do not know how.
All instructions at openwrt are not working.

Thanks

Just in case you weren't aware, you can get builds for the EA3500 here -

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … d/generic/

The EA3500 uses the audi builds. Also, you can boot into the working partition of the EA3500 by following this process -

1 Plug in the EA3500/4500
2 Power led will blink rapidly
3 Power led will turn off
4 As soon as the power led turns off, unplug the router
5 Wait a few seconds
6 Plug the router back in and repeat the above process

Do that three times, on the fourth time keep the router plugged in and let it boot, hopefully you will now have a functioning router again.

thanks mike.

the reboot process does not work. on the third time the led keeps blinking and does not turn off.

how do i install the files from downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/kirkwood/generic ?
i assume i need the following two files
openwrt-kirkwood-linksys-audi-squashfs-factory.bin
openwrt-kirkwood-linksys-audi-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar

i have no GUI. only ssh connection over putty.
i do succeed to download the files to the router from the openwrt site with wget.
but no idea how to install them.

appreciate your help.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you're trying to boot on the third time instead of the fourth, so just to make sure we're on the same page, the process to switch to the other partition should look like this -

turn on/turn off

turn on/turn off

turn on/turn off

turn on/leave on and let boot....

If that doesn't work and you want to try reflashing over ssh, you can use sysupgrade, if you want to read up on it you can do so here - https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.sysupgrade

But for now here's the simple instructions, if you're flashing from OpenWrt you need the sysupgrade.tar file (the .bin file is for flashing from Linksys firmware), so copy the openwrt-kirkwood-linksys-audi-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar to the /tmp file of your EA3500 and then ssh into your EA3500 and run the sysupgrade command -

sysupgrade -n /tmp/openwrt-kirkwood-linksys-audi-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar

The -n option is to erase previous config files so you'll have a nice clean flash to work from, hopefully that will get you up and running.

The discussion might have continued from here.