OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [SOLVED] Ubiquiti Bullet M2 HP - Just won't work

The content of this topic has been archived on 15 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi everyone,

I have 2x Ubiquiti Bullet M2 HP devices that I would like to setup as a hotspot. I really want to run OpenWRT but am having trouble getting the firmware to take. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is where I am at:

Device 2:
- Started with Firmware AirOS XM 5.6.8
- Downgraded to AirOS XM 5.5.11
- Downgraded to AirOS XM 5.3.6 (the re-release version with all MAC address support, for newer devices)
- Device works fine with AirOS XM 5.3.6
- Installed OpenWRT (openwrt-ar71xx-generic-ubnt-bullet-m-squashfs-factory) via Update in UBNT Web Management, left for 20min, rebooted device, no IP-address given by DHCP server. No IP found assigned using IPScan.
- Recovery mode - TFTP, back to AirOS XM 5.3.6, left for 20 min, rebooted, back to 192.168.1.20
- Installed OpenWRT (openwrt-ar71xx-generic-ubnt-bullet-m-squashfs-factory) via Recovery TFTP method, status = success, left for 20 min, rebooted, no IP-address given by DHCP server. No IP found assigned using IPScan.
- Recovery mode - TFTP, back to AirOS XM 5.3.6, left for 20 min, rebooted, back to 192.168.1.20
- Installed OpenWRT (openwrt-ar71xx-generic-ubnt-bullet-m-squashfs-factory) via SSH terminal. Again, installed fine, left for 20 min, rebooted, no IP-address given by DHCP server. No IP found assigned using IPScan.

Device 1:
- Pretty sure I bricked it because I didn't downgrade the AirOS before applying the OpenWRT firmware.
- Is there anything I can do? It still goes to recovery mode. But AirOS 5.6.8 says installed, but doesn't boot. Have not tried all the different AirOS firmwares.

Not sure where to go next. I don't want to brick device 2.

Thanks.

(Last edited by jamesgid on 12 Aug 2016, 03:29)

We just downgraded to 5.5.11, and OpenWRT installed fine.  Not sure why you need to go back to 5.3.6, never tried it.

You can save your bricked device, but you need to open it up, and have a serial-USB adapter to access the serial console.  See:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=64326

There is also a patch available to solve the problem so you can flash directly on 5.6.x, but it has not been backported into CC as far as I know.  Info in the above link.

JohnV wrote:

We just downgraded to 5.5.11, and OpenWRT installed fine.  Not sure why you need to go back to 5.3.6, never tried it.

You can save your bricked device, but you need to open it up, and have a serial-USB adapter to access the serial console.  See:

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=64326

There is also a patch available to solve the problem so you can flash directly on 5.6.x, but it has not been backported into CC as far as I know.  Info in the above link.

Thanks JohnV. I will try the OpenWRT install from 5.5.11 and see what happens.

I had a heap of Serial to USB adapters with all my hobby stuff at home. I'll bring one to work and try the recovery tomorrow.

Thanks for the link. I knew the information had to be out there somewhere.

Can you confirm which firmware image you applied to your Bullet? The code here references a file that doesn't exist.... https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/bullet So I am using the one inside the 'generic' folder.

Cheers.

Also, I am at factory defaults in the AirOS before applying the OpenWRT firmware. Should I be changing anything prior to uploading the OpenWRT firmware, like network settings?

Thanks.

No need to change from factory default on AirOS, no.

Regarding Openwrt firmware, this is the latest stable.  Likely what you were using.

https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_cal … actory.bin

We build our own, but based on CC 15.05.1, so the above should be fine.

Thanks JohnV.

Turns out my n00b status to OpenWRT brought me undone. I missed the whole static IP of 192.168.1.1 being default, and no web interface by default. Worked it all out.

Now in regards to the bricked device, I can still get it into Recovery mode without the USB TTL adapter. In recovery mode I can ping it (192.168.1.20). Does that mean that it may not actually be properly 'bricked' ! LOL, if there is such a thing!

When I upload the OpenWRT firmware, the ping of 192.168.1.20 continues which suggests the UBNT doesn't reboot. If I power cycle the device, I have nothing on 192.168.1.20 or 192.168.1.1.

I have the following lights:
- After TFTP Firmware upload
1 and 2 green
Then 3 and 5 alternate on and off with 4 and 6.

- After power cycle
1 Solid
2 has activity
Then after about 30 seconds I get a quick flash on 4 and 5, then 2 goes out completely for about 3 seconds, then back to activity. Looks like it is soft rebooting.

Does that paint a picture for anybody, and if so, what do I need to do to get this device working again?

Thanks.

Does the Alfa TUBE2H have the same circuit board as the Bullet M2 HP?    If so, or if not, has anyone ever seen a description of how to install the firmware "TUBE2H" from OpenWRT or do you know if it is indeed intended for an Alfa TUBE2H?

The discussion might have continued from here.